Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WarrensGoddess Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2007, 05:55 PM
    Custodial Parent Move Away
    In the instance where there is a current DV restraining order against the NCP, together with limited [supervised] visitation between the NCP and the child, the parties were never married, and the custodial parent already has both 100% legal and physical custody, does the custodial parent need permission from the court to move out of state or out of the country? I see that the custodial parent has the presumptive right to move, but if there is a visitation order can the custodial parent simply provide the NCP a modified visitation schedule and then move away without requesting permission from the court?

Aug 3, 2007, 08:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by WarrensGoddess
    In the instance where there is a current DV restraining order against the NCP, together with limited [supervised] visitation between the NCP and the child, the parties were never married, and the custodial parent already has both 100% legal and physical custody, does the custodial parent need permission from the court to move out of state or out of the country? I see that the custodial parent has the presumptive right to move, but if there is a visitation order can the custodial parent simply provide the NCP a modified visitation schedule and then move away without requesting permission from the court?
    I should note that the parties live in California.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2007, 05:45 PM
    The custodial parent can't provide a modified visitation order but the court can, and will if it deems such a move to be in the child's best interests.
    1badchoice Posts: 227, Reputation: 45

Aug 5, 2007, 06:21 PM
    The non custodial parent is kind of limited in action available. He/she can petition the court to stop custodial parent from moving more than a certain distance away. This, of course, takes money for the legal fees. If the custodial parent moves out of state and visitation is not readily available, per the order, the non custodial parent can file contempt of court charges as the visitation is not being followed. It would be best to try and prevent the move. Filing contempt of court after the fact will be a lot harder as custodial parent will not be in the area for court dates, etc. This would cause major delays, etc. Leaving the country all together with the child(ren) would be the hardest as there is little you can do... very few countries have compacts with the US to honor custody/visitation. Regardless of your relationship to the other parent... get advice from an attorney locally (often they offer free consultations) before the other parent actually moves. Good luck.

Aug 10, 2007, 04:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 1badchoice
    The non custodial parent is kind of limited in action available. He/she can petition the court to stop custodial parent from moving more than a certain distance away. This, of course, takes money for the legal fees. If the custodial parent moves out of state and visitation is not readily available, per the order, the non custodial parent can file contempt of court charges as the visitation is not being followed. It would be best to try and prevent the move. Filing contempt of court after the fact will be alot harder as custodial parent will not be in the area for court dates, etc. This would cause major delays, etc. Leaving the country all together with the child(ren) would be the hardest as there is little you can do.........very few countries have compacts with the US to honor custody/visitation. Regardless of your relationship to the other parent........get advice from an attorney locally (often they offer free consultations) before the other parent actually moves. Good luck.

Thanks for your responses everyone! I am confused on the "leaving the country" issue, however. Can you clarify?

Aug 10, 2007, 05:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by s_cianci
    The custodial parent can't provide a modified visitation order but the court can, and will if it deems such a move to be in the child's best interests.
    Thanks for your response. I am now wondering if the parents can stipulate as to a modified visitation schedule. That seems very reasonable to me.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 10, 2007, 05:38 PM
    If the court has ordered a visitation schedule and the CP moving would make that visitation schedule impractical, then the NCP can usually block the move. However, if they can agree on a modified visitation schedule, then the NCP may agree to the move.

Aug 10, 2007, 05:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    If the court has ordered a visitation schedule and the CP moving would make that visitation schedule impractical, then the NCP can usually block the move. However, if they can agree on a modified visitation schedule, then the NCP may agree to the move.
    Ok thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Custodial parent being deployed [ 9 Answers ]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- My ex-husband and I have been divorced since 2002. We have a 8 yr old son. Our son lives with his dad, who was just stationed out in California. Our son visits me in MI every summer, over major holidays and even lived...

Non-custodial rights [ 4 Answers ]

I am thinking about moving out of the state of New Jersey. I have joint legal custody. Can I legally move? If so, what reasons are legitimate or do I need a reason? Do I need permission from a court or the custodial parent as the non custodial parent. Second, will I loose my parental rights by...

Can custodial parent move out of state [ 1 Answers ]

I have primary custody of my children, their father has seen them only one weekend in the past two months. Can I move out of state, or am I bound to stay in the state I am in?

Move away order for custodial parent [ 2 Answers ]

I'am the custodial parent that lives in California needs to ask for a move away order to move to another state for a job transfer. We have joint custody. How do I go about asking the court for a move away order? How far in advance does this need to be done?

Sibling refuses to move from/sell home parent left to all 4 siblings [ 2 Answers ]

My mother passed away 6 years ago and willed the family home to her 4 children equally. Three of us have our own homes but brother, never married, has lived most of his 58 years in that home. He does not want to sell and continues to live there (a duplex, 6 rooms each side). He uses one side for...

View more questions Search