Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adalia Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2007, 05:13 PM
    I am now 74 years old but I am still working. I would like to withdraw my 401K to use it for repairing my house.
    What steps should I be taking?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 23, 2007, 04:57 AM
    You need to talk to the 401 administer, there are actually rules on withdrawal and max ages without paying additional penalities, and you are getting close to that age if you have not already started drawing money out.

But in general you merely tell them you want X amount of money and they send it to you. There may be a form to fill out.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 23, 2007, 06:27 AM
    As Chuck said, you need to talk to your plan admin. Though, you are no longer subject to early withdrawal penalties, there are limits of how much and how little you can withdraw from the plan annually.

Beyond that, its just a matter of filling out a form requesting a withdrawal. The admin will provide you with that form.

On a side note. Your question was originally posted to an existing thread in the Forum Help area. The first note in that thread had instructions on how to post. Part of those instructions were to post in an appropriate forum, which is why your note was moved here.
    wmm10 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2007, 10:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by adalia
    I am now 74 years old but I am still working. I would like to withdraw my 401K to use it for repairing my house.
    what steps should I be taking??
    I think you're old enough at 62 1/2. Call your benefits dept. Should be real easy, but may take awhile.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 25, 2007, 12:38 PM
    Actually its 59 1/2 you can draw from a 401k without penalty, your plan administrator is the one to ask.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k early withdraw penalties [ 16 Answers ]

I am considering quiting my present job and using my 401k money to open a business and was wondering what percentage of the balance that I would be subject to loose?

Methadone withdraw [ 2 Answers ]

My friend was detoxing from herion with 30 mg of methadone. He stopped taking METHADONE WITHOUT A DOCTOR'S SUPERVISION, and is now experiencing withdraws such as sweating. Should he continue taking 30MG, or lower the doseage?

401k Early withdraw hardship [ 1 Answers ]

I had to take 17k for a hardship withdraw on my 401k. Will I have to pay federal taxes on this?

Beginning new business - Withdraw 401? [ 4 Answers ]

I am considering opening own consulting business. Should I consider pulling money from my 401 plan for start up cost? I am 44yr and have about 40,000 in my 401 Thanks in advance!

Procedure to withdraw 401k money [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I was employed with an american firm till the end of September 2006. I am no longer living in the US. I want to withdraw my entire 401 K amount early next year. What is the procedure to withdraw the money ? There is a tax penalty of 10%... when I receive the amount, will it be the...

View more questions Search