Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    e46guy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2007, 10:49 AM
    Electrical for commercial building.
    I have a strip mall that has only one metered box. Now I would like to separate each unit so each tenant has their own breaker panel and meter. What's the best way of doing it without an outrageous bill? Can anyone help me?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2007, 11:55 AM
    You can use a trough with individual meters and disconnects for each tenant, or you can use meter stacks, which are meters/disconnects that are modular.

What is used really depends on the quantity of tenants and the amp rating for each. The trough method is the most flexible sine each meter and disconnect is added as needed. Meter stacks are pre-made, and may not have the quantity or amp rating needed.

More detail of the tenants and amps needed for each will be helpful.

Also need to know the size of the main service entrance, is it aerial or underground.

Who will be doing the actual work?

What is your idea of outrageous? Need to spend money to make money.

Keep in mind, any expenditure will add to the value of the real estate, and there will be a payback on the return on investment.
    e46guy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2007, 03:06 PM
    Thanks tkrussell. I called a couple of electricians and one guy quoted me close to $80,000 and then another guy quoted me $30,000. Why is there such a big difference? I have 8 units leased out and all of them run into one meter box, so we have only one bill. Well, at the end of each month the bill is split up 8 ways and there are always disagreements about who used the most, etc, etc. Each space is about 1000 sq ft and the uses of the space range from Hair salon to a doctor's office. There's a guy that sells tattoo supplies wholesale and there's a nail salon also. Each space only has 5-6 outlets and then the canned lights to light the space. Nothing too fancy. I'm hoping someone can spread some light (no pun intended) for me and help me what the best way of doing it is.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2007, 01:41 PM
    This are many reasons for the huge differenc. Types of materials, such as copper or aluminum wire, size of main service, size of each tenant service, types and sizes of conduits, and either of there contractors could have made a mistake. The $80 K contractor may not want the job.

Who outlined the scope of work? Did you ask the contractors to lay out the design and bid on it?
    Who is doing the service rating calculations?
    What size of main service and tenant services are each of the contractors proposing?
    Does each tenant have their own panels now? Or do they need to be added?

As you can see thses are only a few of the major variables. Without knowing what each is proposing, I can only offer these speculations.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cleaning bid for commercial building on sq. Ft. [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, hope someone can be of some assistance. I am bidding on a commercial office building that has roughly 18,000 sq. ft. with a few offices vacant. The cleaning will be a regular janitorial service 5 days a week with paper products provided. The building manager said they usually get a discount...

Tv commercial [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know who the artist is of the song about the diamond necklace commercial "How can I tell you I love you" I am always thinking of you"

Building PC [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Looking to build my own PC - Did 1st build with a very smart friend. Now ready to go on my own. Any websites out there that can help? Thanks Stu

View more questions Search