Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nervous Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2005, 07:00 PM
    Bathroom Vent fan GFCI circuit
    My NuTone fan says that it's UL approved for over shower use when wired with GFCI circuit. Would it be acceptable if I ran the fan power wire first through a plain face (non-outlet, but outlet sized unit) GFCI unit, through the switch and to the fan with nothing else on that circuit? I know that I could probably run it after a GFCI outlet but I like the idea of it being on an independent branch with it's own protection. Thoughts?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2005, 07:51 PM
    I don't see why not. I would want to use a GFI circuit breaker, but maybe you are still on fuses.
    nervous Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2005, 07:54 PM
    GFCI circuit breaker
    At the present my panel is getting filled and I can't dedicate a single space and breaker to just the vent fan, That is why I am trying to arrange a way to tie it in to the power supply as it will be distributed to the new fixtures and outlets.

Thanks.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2005, 08:41 PM
    Check out half size breakers. Doubt they come in GFCI, but swap stuff around. I added a few in 1977, and no problems since.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Concerns with circuit overload because of bathroom remodeling [ 1 Answers ]

I’m in the process of remodeling my basement bathroom and have hit a road-block with the wiring. Here are my questions. • Before I started my basement bathroom remodel, the only thing that was wired in the bathroom was a vanity light from a 15A circuit. This circuit is shared with the upstairs...

Bathroom circuit [ 1 Answers ]

I am putting a new bathroom in basement and want to know the correct wiring. I will be running a 20 amp circuit with a GFI outlet, vanity lighting, and a small exhaust fan. I want to run the fan and lights on their own switches. Can the GFI and others run off same circuit? If so how do I wire...

Wiring a switch and GFCI circuit [ 3 Answers ]

I am in the process of wiring my bathroom. The lighting and fan circuit has one fan, one overhead light and one vanity light. I was wanting to use a NuTone single space / 3 switch unit for all three. Wiring that is all very straight forward but the fan requires a GFCI circuit to make it OK for over...

Bathroom Circuit around corner? [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the middle of a complete remodeling and upgrade of my 80 YO,5' x 9' bathroom. Toilet runs ditect into the 4" vent stack and will remain in the same place. New sink is circuit vented back to the stack and will be moved approx 15" further away from the stack but extending the 2" circuit vent...

Bathroom Vent [ 5 Answers ]

We just remodeled a 1st floor bathroom. There is 1 sink, a shower and a toilet. They all drain into a 4" main with the shower at the far end then the sink then the shower. Before remodeling there were 2, 2" vents tapped off the horizontal main, 1 between the toilet and the sink drain entry and one...

View more questions Search