Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shwetha Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2004, 12:21 PM
    Blood donation and AIDS
    Hi
    I wanted to know... how safe donated blood is from the HIV considering a person who has the HIV can't be detected if he is still in the window period.if he has donated blood during that period and wasn't detected as HIV +ve... isnt his blood contaminated?
    Won't it transmit the virus to the receptor?
    EVS Posts: 93, Reputation: 3

Nov 13, 2004, 11:01 PM
    Hiv Blood
    Hi there

I can see that you really have issues about donated blood - The truth is that the first time you donate they will be use the blood immediately, they break it up into its other forms and hold onto it until the window period is over. If you prove to be POSITIVE they dump it immediately. If you prove to be NEGATIVE they use the by-products and accept your honesty from that point on. (The forms you fill in at the blood bank).

From that point on it is anyone's guess what could happen.

Regards
    Peanuts
    urmod4u Posts: 248, Reputation: 4

Nov 14, 2004, 03:29 AM
    Really, I do hope that this is not the way things are done in South Africa.
    Since 2002, testing for HIV contamination is done by searching for the viral gnome. With this test, there is no more window/delay between contamination and detection. The test is done on EVERY blood gift - not only the first.
    Each blood gift is also tested for Syphilis and Hepatitis.
    KarenAK Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2009, 02:22 AM

EVS you talk about a window, but in fact red blood cells and platelets have a short shelf life.
    Every effort is taken to ensure the blood is not HIV or HCV positive and that is why they do molecular testing for the viral genome on the blood ASAP. This testing is done within 24 hours of collection.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 14, 2009, 04:42 AM
    5 year old thread closed

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Plasma Donation [ 4 Answers ]

Is Diarrhea a possible side effect of donating plasma? Also, are there any long term effects?

Blood Donation [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I would like to know if every pint of blood is tested when you donate blood. Thanks

Tax help on donation [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there,

The blood shed & the blood sprinkled! [ 4 Answers ]

THE BLOOD SHED & THE BLOOD SPRINKLED In the Old Testament and the New Testament sacrificial "Blood" is spoken of in two ways;i.e. "The Blood shed and the Blood sprinkled." IN THE OLD TESTAMENT WHAT WAS THE APPLICATION OF "SHED BLOOD" RE "ATONEMENT" (the 'moment the Blood became...

Drinks blood or sperm polluted / effected by AIDS [ 3 Answers ]

Dear sir/madam, Please advise if some body drinks blood or sperm polluted / effected by AIDS , does AIDS transfer to his body and become effected. Regards Pointofview

View more questions Search