Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jtcavanna Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2015, 10:02 AM
    Wooden Rolling Pin
    I have my aunt's old wood rolling pin which I sanded, washed and dried. Do I have to add a finish to it such as vegetable oil?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 19, 2015, 01:39 PM
    Not unless it will be subjected to animal fats that might permeate the wood and go rancid. In that case, oil it with vegetable oil as you said.
    Many opt to cover theirs with a cotton sleeve instead, which you can buy online.
    Norpro Rolling Pin Covers 100 Cotton Set of 2 Pastry | eBay
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2015, 02:00 PM
    Are you going to use it or display it?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 19, 2015, 04:24 PM
    I use one that is probably 125 years old. All moving parts are wood and it is probably maple. Only use it for pastry, never immerse it in water, wipe clean of flour and store. It doesn't stink, I am a very clean person but prefer to honour this rolling pin and use as it was intended.
    jtcavanna Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2015, 08:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    Are you going to use it or display it?
    I'm going to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    I use one that is probably 125 years old. All moving parts are wood and it is probably maple. Only use it for pastry, never immerse it in water, wipe clean of flour and store. It doesn't stink, I am a very clean person but prefer to honour this rolling pin and use as it was intended.
    Thank's

Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Not unless it will be subjected to animal fats that might permeate the wood and go rancid. In that case, oil it with vegetable oil as you said.
    Many opt to cover theirs with a cotton sleeve instead, which you can buy online.
    Norpro Rolling Pin Covers 100 Cotton Set of 2 Pastry | eBay
    Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I change out a two pin tombstone to a single pin [ 3 Answers ]

I ordered a light and it came with the worng tombstone for it. I have a bunch of single pin bulbs and wanted to know if I could change the tombstones to match my bulbs?

Transpose formula D=15log(pont/pin) to pin [ 3 Answers ]

transpose D=15log(pont/pin) change subject to pin

Wooden rolling pin? [ 2 Answers ]

My rolling pin got wet some kind of way and I have a little bit of splinters of wood on it what can I do ? How can I get the rough edges off

USA 4 pin 240v converted to Fiji 3 pin 240 v [ 7 Answers ]

I am in Fiji with a Coleman 110v / 240v gen set and want to adapt my 4 pin female receptacle to accommodate Fiji's 3 pin 240v plugs. I know my get set is 60 hertz and the power tools here are 50 hertz.

Rolling Pin ? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question that my friends and I have been wondering about. Is there a proper name for the rolling pin. Please let me.

View more questions Search