Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    raggablue Posts: 347, Reputation: 22

Feb 5, 2008, 04:01 PM
    What do you play?
    Does anyone play an instument, are you in a band, do you write songss, lyrics etc..
    V413R14 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2008, 04:27 PM
    I play the flute and I'm at my school's band and abviously I know how to read notes, why?

Feb 5, 2008, 05:24 PM
    Just seeing if there are any other creative types out there in cyberspace, what do you play/
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 5, 2008, 08:20 PM
    I play piano, trumpet, used to play the tuba and french horn. I play around with the slide guitar some.

My wife plays guitar, piano, organ, flute, clarinet and a dozen or more things I forget. She also writes music, has dozens copywritten, has three CD's out And has done a few regional tours.
    ineedhelpfast Posts: 101, Reputation: 7

Feb 5, 2008, 09:41 PM
    I've played the piano for about 11yrs and I've been singing for four

Feb 6, 2008, 11:09 AM
    Wow you're all very talented.
    What styles do you play?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Feb 6, 2008, 11:28 AM
    I play the oboe and the english horn

Feb 6, 2008, 05:18 PM
    I always imagen the oboe as a deep, tubar sounding thing. Then my cousin played it and it sounded like kittens dying... but I guess it could sound good in the right hands :)
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2008, 05:34 PM
    I play the banjo and violin. I have 2 John Hartford banjos from Deering Banjo Company worth a small bundle. Before Hartford died he did the banjo picking in Brother Where Art Thou movie. His banjos have such a beautiful voice to them they practically play themselves.

Feb 6, 2008, 06:03 PM
    Wow I've always loved the sound and feel of a banjo but I've only just got me a fresh guitar so I'm totally skint.
    I always thought a fidddle would sound great in a punk or ska track
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Feb 6, 2008, 11:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by raggablue
    i always imagen the oboe as a deep, tubar sounding thing. then my cousin played it and it sounded like kittens dying......but i guess it could sound good in the right hands :)
    Gershwin loved the oboe and the clarinet--check out some of his stuff sometime.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2008, 11:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter
    I play the banjo and violin. I have 2 John Hartford banjos from Deering Banjo Company worth a small bundle. Before Hartford died he did the banjo picking in Brother Where Art Thou movie. His banjos have such a beautiful voice to them they practically play themselves.
    I enjoy the sound of those instruments. I kind of feel like the only thing I can play is a radio...

I've gotten to see Ralph Stanley perform a couple of times. He does "Oh Death" and you can hear a pin drop... it get's so quiet in the auditorium! It was in the movie as well.

I used to own an Alvarez White Eagle that I had to sell... got more out of it than I gave... but I see the value has gone even higher now... wish I had it back... I was only a beginner though.

Do you happen to know of a Paul Kovac... excellent musician! Banjo player etc... met him a few times.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2008, 02:31 AM
    I play a number of instruments as well as sing, compose and arrange for various genres and styles of music.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2008, 02:44 AM
    Originally Posted by Synnen

I play the oboe and the english horn
    Originally Posted by raggablue
    I always imagen the oboe as a deep, tubar sounding thing. Then my cousin played it and it sounded like kittens dying... but I guess it could sound good in the right hands
    The oboe is particularly essential to the sound of a concert band or orchestra because it adds the seventh harmonic to the tonal color of those organizations. That is something very desirable for the music to sound just right. It is a very difficult instrument to master.

Also, if someone plays instruments such as the Oboe, English Horn, Bassoon, Tuba or French Horn, playing them well can be your "ticket" into a college or university because people who play those instruments are harder to find and they might be more willing to help you out financially in some way such as a scholarship.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2008, 03:29 AM
    I play the piano (not well enough to someone to pay to hear me) and have written two songs. So my accomplishments are very minor but therapeutic in it's own way.

Feb 7, 2008, 05:26 AM
    Music should only be played for enjoyment only. If you don't enjoy playing and your audience don't enjoy listening then your in the wrong job
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2008, 05:43 AM
    A friend of mine plays oboe and english horn. The instruments with double reeds are not only difficult to play well. Making your own reeds can be an art in itself.

I play the fiddle in a folk music group. You probably would hate our music. I read music and consider those who don't to be illiterate. Lol. I have several illiterate family members and several who got their BA and master's degrees in music. They are all creative.

I dislike playing events. Music, for me is hard work. I am rarely paid a fair price for skills that took years to master. Lessons and instruments are also costly, yet music is considered a form of play. When we are standing on a stage, entertaining a crowd, play has nothing to do with it.

Feb 7, 2008, 10:14 AM
    Play has everything to do with it, play is fun, and if you don't have fun why bother playing?
    I am rarely paid a fair price
    being aloud to perform and have people come to watch you is payment enough, surly?
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2008, 12:33 PM
    Yeah, for quite a while, I did play for fun. But, as I said, playing music is hard work. The attitude that the band is there, just to hear that they sound good, for free, is a bit childish. Sure, I do sound good. But to play (give up) 4-5 hours of your time for less than minimum wage and have to replace strings the next day for $100. Is not a positive idea to me. Hmm, sounds like I have a bad attitude.

I've been paid to paint for 4-5 hours (no more work/tool cost than music) and been paid ten times as much. It doesn't make sense.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2008, 07:48 PM
    an under appreciated or financially valued art form for sure

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When I tried to play a tmp files with window media player, it says"Windows Media Play [ 3 Answers ]

When I tried to play a tmp files with window media player, it says"Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file." What can I do to play this file?

Nobody wants to play with me! [ 3 Answers ]

my four year old is now saying that nobody wants to play with him and that he has no friends at school. I spoke to his teachers and they say he place nicely in the classroom with the others. He is in a lot of activities outside of school. Karate 2x a week and gymnastics 1x a week. Is this...

Cannot get a cd to play [ 12 Answers ]

Hello. Well every time I pop in a music cd or any kind of cd into my computer, it won't show up and play. I can't find the location of the drive or disk where it's supposed to be located. I open the windows media player, pop in the cd but nothing happens. So I try to open it manually by looking...

Here's something to play with [ 2 Answers ]

For kids of all ages! Animal Splicer 1.0 Drag and drop one critter onto each pad, pull the splicer handle and get a new critter! Release the new critter and make some more! The fun goes on. Make sure your speakers are turned up!

I want to play [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I am 24 years old, and my dream has always been to play basketball. I am not sure I am good enough to play in the wnba, and I am not eligible for college basketball because I already have a bachelor degree, and now I am preparing a master degree. I really want to know if there is a way I could...

View more questions Search