Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    phili28 Posts: 66, Reputation: 0

Apr 30, 2009, 07:01 AM
    17 week scan girl or boy?
    Hi, was in to the hospital for my 17 week scan.

It was so nice to see the baby kicking and wriggling around.

We asked if they could see the sex of the baby. They had a really good look but babywas being a little shy, they could see the cord, but no obvious boy bits and that it was most likely a girl. Which is fine.

We left the hospital still wondering if it would be a G / B?

Should I take it it's a girl? Or it could still turn out to be a boy?

I'm thinking I might get a 4d scan done to confirm the sex.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2009, 08:13 AM

I wouldn't be painting any rooms pink or blue just yet. Have had it happen numerous times where a scan was incorrect when it was not obviously clear what gender baby was.

If you do another scan at some point, you may have better luck finding out.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2009, 08:19 AM

I agree with Doula that unless you see something that is obviously "boy bits", then I'd wait to decorate until I was sure.

My son was touching himself so I saw it plain as day!
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2009, 10:14 AM

When I had my sonogram done they saw his little thing and so did I on the screen.

Wait until you get your next sonogram because they might get a clearer picture.

If the doctor shouldn't tell you the sex of the baby I most definitely can't.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 1, 2009, 01:08 AM
    Typically the sex scan is done around 20 weeks. I have delivered quite a few scanned boys that came out as girls and visa versa.

Be happy that you have a healthy baby and you will know for absolute certain what the sex is when it is born.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2009, 02:41 AM

Not to change the subject or steal the thread but I was wondering... are there people out there who don't want to know the sex of their baby because I am old school and I never did want to know.

My youngest is 22 and they said I could know even back in 87 but I didn't want to.Does anyone do that anymore?

Not want to know? I don't need to know.I would rather be surprised and buy uni-sex colors and themes! :)

I get why people do it, I 'm not judging ,I can get all the reasons its cool, I'm just wondering what people feel about it. Parents to be who do not opt for that... sorry for asking a question and stealing thread. I will never get an animated avatar this way :rolleyes:
    Uber Member

May 1, 2009, 02:55 AM

Sure... I get a few here and there in my classes. Some want to be surprised, with others baby was just being modest so they couldn't find out. They are the exception these days however... :)
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2009, 03:59 AM

I wanted to know... for the obvious reasons. :)

But I wanted to be able to talk to "him" and call him by his name.

I found out the sex of my baby at 13 weeks- but that's because due to complications I was having ultrasounds every other week. So I got to find out earlier than most. And the fact that he was... ehem... "cooperative" made it easy.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 1, 2009, 05:07 AM
    I didn't find out with any of my 4. Oldest is almost 23 and youngest is 7. I likened it to a Christmas gift. If you find out your one and only christmas gift in July, Christmas isn't as exciting. LOL

As with Doula, I have had a couple here and there that did not want to find out. I've had WAY more babies that were supposed to be girls turn out boys and visa versa.

Many boys have gone home in pink. LOL

Actually had a girl almost going home in blue today. Good thing Wal-Mart is right next door to the hospital.
    h_leann_b Posts: 247, Reputation: 35

May 1, 2009, 03:17 PM

I want to be surprised but at the same time I don't know if I could stand it.. although, I will opt for a unisex color scheme.. Too much blue/pink. I want light green :)
    Uber Member

May 1, 2009, 03:19 PM

What I have found interesting are the couples where one knows but the other doesn't want to know... :) I would think it would be pretty difficult to not slip up. You would have to be careful you were not showing any sort of bias so as to not give away the secret!
    phili28 Posts: 66, Reputation: 0

May 2, 2009, 01:41 AM

Well I really don't mind what sex the baby is. I would just like to know, because finding an appropriate name is a very big thing for me. And I would like to be able to concentrate on one sex.

The other thing is I'm hoping a little more for a girl, I already have one girl who is 2, and she is surrounded by little boys, she has no girls to be feminine with apart from me. I would love to give her and sister and start preparing her for the new arrival.

It's a big adjustment for her and the more prepared she is for it I think the better.
    Uber Member

May 2, 2009, 04:08 AM

Awww, phili28, I really miss those days! You are going to have so much fun with them... :) It can be hectic at times of course, but the good times far outweigh the rough moments.
    Hope you do get to find out the sex so that you can get prepard as you would like to!
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2009, 06:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DoulaLC View Post
    Awww, phili28, I really miss those days! You are going to have so much fun with them.....:) It can be hectic at times of course, but the good times far outweigh the rough moments.
    Hope you do get to find out the sex so that you can get prepard as you would like to!
    Dig that! I can so understand wanting to know,truly,it's a wonderful option :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2 week on property now served a 2 week eviction because mgr refuses to sign lease [ 1 Answers ]

Can a management company refuse to sign the lease document even though you signed and was given permission to move-in by district manager of company? She decided that she didn't want me to stay even though I passed all of the criteria of the property. She found out that I had emailed a ex...

Girl went to a job for a week but she doesn't call me [ 4 Answers ]

I was at work when my girlfriend called me telling me she is going to a job far away with her brother and her sister in law (maybe 3 to 5 hours away) she told me that they are going to rent a house there because its too far. I got kind of upset about it and I told I can't talk right now and to...

20 Week Scan [ 7 Answers ]

Hi everyone! I haven't been on in a while because I haven't had access to my computer, but I thought I'd give you all an update. I had my 20 weeks scan this past Monday. It was so amazing to see our little boy! That's right... it's a boy! He was moving around so much. It was really awesome because...

How do I scan [ 4 Answers ]

I have an all in one print scan copy. How do I know it is connected to the computer? Is that proven in that I can pri9nt from AOL to the printer... then how come it doesn't scan when I am in word it says I am not connected... u know?

View more questions Search