Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gokullu Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2018, 12:11 PM
    How to deduct home mortgage interest and equity loan interest
    Hi,
    I am an H1B holder. (Indian citizen)
    Resident for tax purposes.

Kindly let me know how should I report my home mortgage interest and equity loan interest.
    I have home outside US(India) on which I have both home mortgage and equity loan (taken for home improvements).

For year 2017:
    Home mortgage interest paid: $1600 (outstanding loan amount: $18K)
    Equity loan interest paid: $4300 (outstanding loan amount: $62K)

My loan amount and interest paid are within the limits. Both the loans are on the same property so wondering whether I can deduct both the interests. In the previous years (last 2 year) I have deducted only the interest on the main loan only..
    Kindly let me.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 19, 2018, 08:11 PM
    You CAN claim the mortgage interest and real estate taxes on an overseas property using Schedule A, provided the interest and taxes, when combined with the other itemized deductions, exceeds your joint standard deduction of $12,700.

Knowing in which state you are currently living and working AND how much you earned in 2017 would be helpful.
    gokullu Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2018, 08:18 PM
    I am in CA and my state tax + mortgage interest is greater than the Std deduction.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 19, 2018, 09:30 PM
    As I said, you CAN claim the mortgage interest, home equity interest and real estate tax on Schedule A for 2017.

For 2018, the home equity interest is NO LONGER deductible.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I deduct mortgage interest from a US Bank Mortgage on a Mexico Home? [ 1 Answers ]

We own one home, and it's in Mexico. My wife lives there full time, and I commute to and from the States. We have a mortgage from a US bank in dollars for this home in Mexico. Can we deduct the interest payments for this home on our tax returns?

Can you deduct mortgage interest paid to a foreign bank for rental home in US [ 1 Answers ]

Client owns rental property in the US- the home mortgage is held by a foreign bank... is the mortgage interest deductible on the Schedule E?

Deducting interest on a home equity loan [ 6 Answers ]

I want to use my home equity loan to pay for upcoming cosmetic dentistry. The cost of the dentistry will be well within the allowed limit for deducting home equity interest. (My house is worth $1.5 million and our current acquisition debt is $68,000, which is the only debt secured by our house.) ...

Can I deduct home mortgage interest? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a slightly interesting situation... I purchased a condo with my mother in 2005, but she was the only one named on the loan as her credit was much better than mine at the time. I am, however, on the deed of the condo. Since that time, I have paid all costs associated with owning the home...

View more questions Search