Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dongill Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2006, 09:15 PM
    Cleaning an evaporator coil?
    How do you recommend that I clean a dirty evaporator coil? I appreciate your help!
    shunned Posts: 268, Reputation: 20

Jul 8, 2006, 01:49 PM
    It depends on how you can gain access to it. You could use water, rinseless coil cleaner or a vacuum. Possibly compressed air but you want to be careful that you don't bend the fins.
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2011, 05:19 PM
    On a 2 1/2 ton system or less you can wash it out after applying an alkali coil cleaner or Easy-Off oven cleaner, the type made of lye and that foams up. Use plenty of water and vacuum it up below the coil. If you were a technician you would remove the coil and pressure wash it. If the coil is more than a 2 1/2 ton coil you really need a pressure washer at 1500 psi and a fan spray tip to keep from bending fins. Don't neglect to remove blower unit and clean it as well, but remove motor from blower wheel before cleaning. This is a wet and dirty job best done by a pro. Air and brushes will never work on an AC coil. It takes a good foaming cleaner made of liquid sodium hydroxide which will remove your skin if you do not wear protective gear. DrTom4444

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Size of A Coil for AC [ 8 Answers ]

Hi Guys I want to buy an AC 2 ton but I have a fairly large air plenum on my furnace about 20 by 22 inches and any AC’s that I have looked at come with a smaller A Coil so if I used this it would greatly reduce my air flow. The A Coil looks like it is meant for a furnace in an apartment size...

98 F-150 coil packs [ 1 Answers ]

I just recently purchased a 98 F-150 5.4L. When I test drove it it had no power and the engine studdered violently. When they repaired the truck they told me it was bad coil packs causing missfires. 10 days ago I picked the truck up running smooth and strong. Then yesterday it just started doing it...

Matching Coil - Trane XR-13 [ 2 Answers ]

Can someone give me a ballpark figure on the price of a matching coil for a new Trane XR-13 A/C?

Carrier Furnace Evaporator Coils [ 1 Answers ]

How often do these coils need to be cleaned?

I need a new heater coil and ignitor [ 3 Answers ]

My a/c guy told me I need a new heater coil and ignitor, but its going to be expensive. I am handy and electronically and mechanically inclined, can someone help me do it myself? Thanks!

View more questions Search