Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JxB Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2006, 09:53 AM
    How do you prevent MS Word from requesting a virus scan?
    What I want to know is how to prevent MS Word from making the request in the first place. What registry entry, if there is one, needs to be changed to disable it.

Yes, I've read the other posts about Word requesting virus scans and those solutions do not help my set up. I have virus protection software, but I do not have the options to "un-enable Office plug-ins". I want to stop Word from making the request.

Thanks.
    JxB
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2006, 05:26 AM
    Hi, JxB,
    Thanks for asking a question here, and Welcome to the site.
    Here is a link:
    Computing.Net - Word requesting virus scan...

This link is for AVG Antivirus Scans. I don't know what Antivirus Program you have. If you don't have AVG, then please post back with your Program name.
    Scroll down to "Responce Number 5", and it gives instructions on how to turn it off. Best wishes.

PS; Another thing to try is: Open any document. At the top, click on Tools, then Macro, then Security. Try setting the Security level to "Medium" or "Low".

Apr 27, 2006, 06:54 AM
    Thanks for that advice - but I've followed as many threads on this subject as possible and have already read that Computing.Net suggestion (and many others that all suggest changing options in the AV software).

It should not matter what AV program I use, I want to stop MS Word from requesting the scan. Setting the Word security option to Low does not prevent this action.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2006, 07:18 AM
    From everything I have read, you can't do anything in Word to stop this. You have to disable it in your virus scanner. What virus scanner are you using and what version of Word?

AVG?
    Norton?

Apr 27, 2006, 07:57 AM
    This is in a corporate environment, using Computer Associates' eTrust AV and MS Word 2002 (v10.6612.6626) SP3
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2006, 08:24 AM
    Hi, JxB,
    As you know, in any corporate environment, if you are not the Administrator, those changes probably can't be made.
    Have you tried contacting the Administrator, or those who look after the network?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 27, 2006, 09:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JxB
    This is in a corporate environment, using Computer Associates' eTrust AV and MS Word 2002 (v10.6612.6626) SP3
    The first line of attack here would be your systems administrators. We use Norton And Office XP and 2003 And I've never seen that happen.

It may be that the system admins have specifically set your machines to do this and they don't want you changing it.

May 2, 2006, 05:44 AM
    Of course Sys Admin group is always the first poc. ;)

I did some digging and think I found the appropriate registry entries under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ComputerAssociates\eTr ustAntivirus\CurrentVersion\Realtime key:
    Set the 'dwFileFilterType' variable to 2 (to use the exclude list)
    Edit the 'szExcludeExtList' variable to include "|DOC|" (to allow exclusion of 'DOC' extension).

Have not tried this, since I am not the Admin, so I don't know if it really would work. If anybody has a similar environment and has the Admin rights to try it, please let me know.

Thanks.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 2, 2006, 05:52 AM
    I would not change that. I'm not 100% sure, but that setting looks like the list of files that would be checked during a scan. If you exclude DOC files, they won't be scanned.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Word, "requesting virus scan" [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Running Word, Office 2000, on Win XP, when we attempt to load a file from any disk, we get the hourglass icon, the Word message "Requesting Virus scan", and no progress from there. Our Virus scanner is ESET/Nod32. This is a new installation, with SP2 updates, the previous installation of the...

MS Word & Excel Requesting Virus Scan [ 2 Answers ]

When opening a Word Excel document the message 'requesting virus scan' appears when opening the application then when opening the file the same message again. Instead of a couple of seconds for whole procedure it now takes 11 to 23 seconds. I had made no changes to my computer. Following another...

MSword requesting virus scan-?help [ 4 Answers ]

I have a problem with MSword. When I open a doc it takes a while and when I finally get word open there is a note on the bottom bar saying "requesting virus scan". Then it loads the document. I run a fast PC, late version of word, scan for virus with norton (updated weekly). Any thoughts on...

AVG Anti-Virus Scan Question [ 3 Answers ]

I have AVG Anti-Virus free edition. When I run a full system scan manually, the test comes back complete with no virus found and no errors. However, when I schedule a test to run automatically at a specific time, the result always comes back with 13 viruses found. Specifically, various trojan...

Virus scan program [ 5 Answers ]

Can someone help me with a good and free virus scanner? Bye boud

View more questions Search