Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BoogerMc Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2010, 08:56 PM
    Refusal to accept mortgage payment, does it void the mortgage?
    I'm in a bit of a pickle. I live in Ohio and have a mortgage on a home that I inherited. About two years ago I learned I would be losing my job, I contacted the mortgage bank and explained my situation in an attempt to get the mortgage adjusted to something I could afford to maintian. I was told I did not qualify.

I lost my job a year ago and I am now in foreclosure, papers were served a few weeks ago. Again, I have tried to get help from the bank and was told they could not help me. I have tried on several occasions over the past few months to make a "good faith" payment, one that is less than the agreed on amount, but a payment none the less and have had them refused on the grounds that they were not full payments.

I have been told that refusal to accept a payment by a creditor will void the contract the money is due on. Is this true and what law or code is this related to. I must submit my answer by the 24th of September, but would prefer it be sooner so as not to miss my deadline.

Any help is appreciated.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 14, 2010, 09:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BoogerMc View Post
    ... I have been told that refusal to accept a payment by a creditor will void the contract the money is due on. ....
    Whoever told you that didn't know what he or she was talking about.

Think about it: Threat of foreclosure is the main remedy mortgagees have to keep their mortgages current So if someone owed $1 trillion per month and the debtor paid $1.01, he could effectively forestall foreclosure? The economy wouldn't work, would it?
    (Not to suggest it's working now, anyway, but that's another issue. :( )

Sep 15, 2010, 10:21 AM

So basically it is better for the bank to be stuck with a house they can't sell than to work with the owner and accept what they can afford until such time that their situation changes.

In other words greed is their motivationg factor. I will be out of a home, unable to provide a permanent address to any potential future employers and they will not hire someone with out a permanent address; therefore, once again the banks have driven yet another nail into the coffin of our economy.

So what is the point of trying?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 15, 2010, 01:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BoogerMc View Post
    So basically it is better for the bank to be stuck with a house they can't sell than to work with the owner and accept what they can afford until such time that their situation changes.
    That's up to them. The law doesn't tell people how to be reasonable.

Sep 15, 2010, 03:44 PM

Nor does it tell people how to be intelligent, which is why we have so many criminals behind bars.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 15, 2010, 06:05 PM

The banks, may, depending on the value of the home and the amount of mortgage decide owning the home may be in their interest.

Others will threaten foreclosure for months and months, and not do it, tying to get you to pay by their terms.

But it merely depends on the banks, esp now that the government has bailed the out with tax money. As to what they will or won't accept. Some may take the deed instead of foreclosure, others will foreclose, sell and then sue you for the balance left, ( depends on terms of your mortage)

have you tried to sell it yet, even trying a short sale ?

Sep 16, 2010, 08:19 PM

Don't want to sel, don't want to lose it either. Have tried to work with the bank but they just will not cooperate. I have offered to make smaller payments just to keep the account open and they refuse to accept them if they are not full payments. I tried to modify the mortgage before I lost my job to reduce my payments, they refused to work with me then as well. The house was valued at $101,000, but now it is worth about half as much or less. I owe $88,000, and do not want to welsh on the debt, I just cannot afford what they are asking at this time.

To be honest, I am so frustrated that I am at my wits end.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Payment Plan Mortgage payment behind [ 3 Answers ]

I was recently off work for two months and unable to pay my mortgage payments. My company put me on a payment plan and now they are charging me with other fees that were not told to me. I want to know how can I find out if their practices are legal. Who is the watchdog for these companies. I am...

Is it best to pay off a mortgage or get a tax break on the mortgage interest payment? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 4.75% mortgage rate. Would it be best just to pay off the loan?

Mortgage payment.Mortgage told me one thing amount and then it was another. [ 1 Answers ]

Okay. I had a mortgage loan modification. Had an agreement with my loan company to make a paymnet of about five thousand dollars.Then I received a letter that instead of the five thousand that covered the months of October and November it was two thousand dollars and one of about two hundred and...

How much of the mortgage payment should I share? [ 8 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I just got engaged. He wanted me to move in to his house a long time ago and after we got engaged I have decided to move in to his house. We both agree to split on the expenses, like utilities, cable, groceries, etc. However, when he asked about me to pay rent and share 50% of his...

Mortgage Payment [ 3 Answers ]

My husband is the borrower and I am the co-borrower on our mortgage. My husband died 9/11/06. I am now 3 months behind on payment (had to pay for funeral). I no longer qualify for my husband's SS money, because my SS is higher. I can pay the mortgage myself if the bank would just put the 3 payments...

View more questions Search