Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bsweet Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2018, 05:54 AM
    Warm wire
    There is a slightly warm wire coming from the home fuse box. We replaced all of the parts in the old hot water heater, including the wire to the fuse box. A new wire was run from the box with a new circuit breaker. Everything to code and the new wire is still a bit warm all of the way to the water heater about 15 feet away. Am thinking about buying a new hot water heater, but am concerned about what would make even the replacement wire a bit warm.

Thanks for your help
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 24, 2018, 12:20 PM
    Is this a job you did yourself? Was it INSPECTED? If not the question should be directed to who did the job. While wires under load can feel warm to the touch, they can be checked as a simple loose connection can cause excessive or uneven heat. Or the appliance is drawing too much power. It should be checked and verified if it's a concern.

You didn't give any specs or descriptions or testing results so hard to say if it's just you noticing a new install, or something serious or defective in some way.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2018, 01:57 PM
    Did you replace the old element with the same wattage element? Some people think they can get hot water faster with a higher wattage element. Yes you will but can overload the existing wire. What is the breaker rating and what is the AWG of the wire?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2018, 10:21 AM
    I'm wondering if they have a Water Heater that requires a 30 Amp Circuit, but is on a pair of #12's. May never know since I saw no reply to your answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Behind warm fronts one can expect warm/cold air convection? [ 1 Answers ]

Behind warm fronts one can expect Warm/Cold air convection? What about behind a cold front

Low voltage wire to heating element gets hot and melts the wire and burns wire into. [ 4 Answers ]

Where low voltage wire from sequencer plugs into heating element gets hot and melts the wire. What causes this? I changed the wire out, but it does it again.

Explain which wire is ground wire when you have 2 black wires and 1 white wire [ 5 Answers ]

Explain which wire is ground when you have 2 black wires and 1 white wire

Is hot wire is not a neutral wire or vice versa in single phase two wire AC source? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a little bit confused why in AC single phase 2 wire source is merely classified the 1 wire as hot and other wire as neutral. The hot wire travels the current from the source to the load and going back the current to the source through the neutral wire. I know that in AC circuit, the signal or...

I'd like to install Warm Wire to an Existing circuit [ 13 Answers ]

Here's the deal, so before you tell me that it HAS to be a dedicated circuit, please read on... We're changing the kitchen flooring from vinyl tiles to ceramic. We'd like to install some Warm Wire - to cover @ 100 square feet - here's the detail on the Warm Wire directly from the SunTouch...

View more questions Search