Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    animalgirl2000 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2013, 01:22 PM
    Was I too harsh on him?
    Recently a guy asked me out in front of our whole pre-algebra class. Everyone stared at me. I said "no. never." I didn't mean to sound so harsh. Then ever since then I felt guilty about it. Was I too harsh on him?

(p.s. I said "no. never" because I'm not ready to date. The bible said to wait until after the bloom of youth to avoid heartbreak and so that's what I'm doing. We're only in the 8th grade! Besides. Even if I weren't waiting until after the bloom of youth he's still not the kind of guy I would date.) Thanks for helping. :)
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2013, 02:27 PM
    He chose to ask you in front of a crowd, so he set himself up to fail and caused his own embarrassment.
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2013, 02:30 PM
    Were you too harsh? Nope. You taught him a lesson he probably will remember his whole life, and that isn't a bad thing at all.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 19, 2013, 03:03 PM
    I'm going to respectfully disagree with my colleagues here. I do think you were too harsh. It took a lot of courage for this boy to ask you in front of God and everybody. You could have been much nicer just by saying something along the lines that you are concentrating on your grades and you aren't ready to date yet.
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Nov 19, 2013, 05:13 PM
    I thought you were rude. You could have said, thanks but I'm not ready. You're probably feeling bad because you should. There is a way to talk to people. .
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2013, 05:27 PM
    An apology goes a long way. I suggest you should apologize in front if at least one other person, and let word get around that you did. Just say something like, "you caught me off guard asking me out in front of people, and I am sorry I sounded harsh and mean. I just don't want to date at all until I am a lot older".
    Itsmebytheway Posts: 16, Reputation: 3

Dec 2, 2013, 07:27 PM
    I'm sorry but you sounded mean.. I know you were shocked and words like that just naturally comes out without much thinking.. But if he had the courage to confess to you in a crowd of people means he really does like you.. He and the rest probably misunderstood you. And you should clear that up. If you were him, and you confessed to a guy but got rejected like that how would you feel? So I guess an apology or explanation is needed.. if you can't say it at least type it through Facebook status or whatever. Hope that helps :)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 2, 2013, 08:24 PM
    I agree that you sounded mean. It takes a lot of courage to ask someone out, and to do it in front of the whole class, that took a lot of guts. He took a chance, and you cut him down in front of everyone. Things like that stick with you for a lifetime.

You should apologize. Me, I'd do it in front of the whole class. It will be hard, and embarrassing, but not nearly as embarrassing as what you did to him.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is this harsh? [ 0 Answers ]

I sent this message to my friend I'm fed up Lucy. 1) You treat me like dirt. 2) You push me around... Literally sometimes. 3) I feel like I have to be someone I'm not around you 4) You don't consider me for things... Not recently anyway 5) I put up with your anime obsession. I put up with...

Harsh Breakup [ 8 Answers ]

I am peer pressured into dumping this guy I really like about 6 months to a year ago, I feel really guilty still, because I really liked this guy, and the way I broke up with him was, I really wanted to tell him, that I don't want to go out with him anymore, but because I really did want to I was...

Is this too harsh? [ 4 Answers ]

There is this guy that I dated a couple of times 7 months back, but distance made us drift apart. Distance is no longer an issue, but he now has a girlfriend who I hear he wants to break up with, but feels guilty about. This guy, seems to act confident and loud, but when it comes to confronting a...

How do I get over the harsh words? [ 14 Answers ]

I just recently broke up with a guy that I was seeing for 6 months. There were many reasons I broke up with him. The main reasons were that his parents were pushing him and I to getting married (go figure he is a successful lawyer but completely attached to the umbilical cord) and they were very...

A little harsh. [ 47 Answers ]

HARSH YOU SAY? There will be no special bilingual programs in the schools, no special ballots for elections, all government business will be conducted in our language. Foreigners will NOT have the right to vote no matter how long they are here. Foreigners will NEVER be able to hold...

View more questions Search