Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moustache49 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2013, 01:14 PM
    Low voltage wire to heating element gets hot and melts the wire and burns wire into.
    Where low voltage wire from sequencer plugs into heating element gets hot and melts the wire. What causes this? I changed the wire out, but it does it again.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2013, 01:28 PM
    You have a fault that is causing excessive current rain... hire a professional to locate and repair this before you have an electrical fire. And melting the insulation means you are close to having one...
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2013, 07:13 AM
    It sounds like you have a shorted element in the sequencer. Sequencers are times delay relays that work by heating a bi-metal strip which bends to make contact. This brings in one element at the time, but it can be replaced with a contactor that will handle the load, like a 100 amp contactor, which I like much better. When you have such a big contactor it will work much better than the sequencers ever will work, but I like to use a small relay to drive the contactor. Wires coming from the sequencer to element should have hi-temp connectors crimped on the wire ends or they will burn off. This is not necessary with a contactor if you put the wires under the screws instead of plugging on the wires.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2013, 06:03 AM
    Old Post, but Loose connections can Generate Heat, Verify Tight conections as well.
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2013, 05:52 AM
    Get rid of the sequencer and substitute a small contactor or use high-temp terminals or both. I do not like sequencers because they are really not necessary since there is no large current inrush as it is with motors starting. A 20-30 amp contactor with a 24 volt coil would work much better and is safer because they do not hang like a sequencer, and will save you some electricity use since they come on instantly and go off the same way without a delay. You can attach the wires without using a terminal, too. It also makes a better connection that will not heat up. You just take the coil wires off the sequencer and attach to the coil terminals on the contactor and attach the high voltage to the terminals and you're done.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My water heater has no power to bottom element but the wire does wire [ 3 Answers ]

There is power to the wires on the top and bottom of the water heater. There is power to the element on the top. No power to bottom element. The reset button does not click. There is no hot water... the breaker switch is not tripped and the water heater is new... help! [email protected]

Is hot wire is not a neutral wire or vice versa in single phase two wire AC source? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a little bit confused why in AC single phase 2 wire source is merely classified the 1 wire as hot and other wire as neutral. The hot wire travels the current from the source to the load and going back the current to the source through the neutral wire. I know that in AC circuit, the signal or...

Burnt red wire to the heating element to hot water heater. (electric). [ 2 Answers ]

Burnt red wire to the heating element. Cover has been off after I replaced the heating element 18 months ago. I did have this problem about two months ago when it appeared that the red and black wire touched each other . There was the burnt smell and melting. I cut off the burnt parts and...

Neutral wire is hot(has voltage potential like the black wire) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, The problem started at midnight last week. One of my line in the basement is starting to have issue whenever I connect a water pump or appliances to the outlets. Before I plug the appliance in, the neutral is neutral(zero voltage), but when I plug the appliance in, the neutral is now...

View more questions Search