Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    altadata Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2009, 01:20 PM
    Hi
    I have 2 problems similar in nature.
    1) I need to install a Y fitting in a already existing 3 inch vertical pipe that runs from the basement floor up into the first floor.
    If I cut this pipe, how can I insert the Y fitting, since I cannot move the upper part or lower part of the pipe?

2) I need to install a Y fitting into an already existing 3 inch horizontal pipe underneath the basement floor. If I cut this pipe, ow can I insert the Y fitting into the pipe, since I cannot move the left and right parts of the pipe?

Thanks.

Forgot to mention - all are plastic pipes.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 10, 2009, 05:30 PM
    Hi Altadalta:

You will want to use SHIELDED CLAMPS in both cases... see picture.

Here, you will install say 4" pieces of pipe into each end of the wye fittings and then measure the overall length of the fitting with pipes installed PLUS a 1/2" or so.

Then lay that measurement out on the pipe to be cut and make the cuts using a reciprocating saw. Be careful to support the vertical pipe and the horizontal pipe properly as you make the cuts. Then slide the clamps over the pipe ends, install the rubber sleeves, FLIP the rubbers back on themselves (see picture), install the wye fitting with pipe and then FLIP the rubber sleeves back onto the pipe, slide the clamps into place and tighten the clamps well.

Let me know if that made sense...

MARK
    Attached Images

Feb 10, 2009, 07:14 PM
    Are these code approved and
    Does Home Depot have them? If not, who has them?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 10, 2009, 07:36 PM

Yes and yes

Feb 10, 2009, 08:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    Hi Altadalta:

You will want to use SHIELDED CLAMPS in both cases...see picture.

Let me know if that made sense...

MARK
    Hi Mark
    In your post you need 2 of these couplings, one for each end.
    Why I cannot just use one: one end of the Y will slide onto the pipe, the other end will have the coupling. When doing so the distance between the 2 ends that need coupling is about 1.5 inch ( the amount the Y slided into the pipe ).
    Would this still be OK and code safe?
    Thx.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 11, 2009, 05:30 AM
    If there is enough flexibility in the pipe.. side to side... then you should be able to use only 1 clamp... ;)

Good luck!

MARK

Feb 11, 2009, 09:07 AM
    One possibility if to have a gap of the size of the sleeve and then cut a small piece of pipe to insert in that gap. Then put the coupling in top of that. Would this be OK?

Thanks.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 11, 2009, 01:56 PM
    I'm unclear on what you are suggesting...

Stick with one or two clamps... depending on flex in pipe. There should be no reason to get creative here... this is the right way to do it... ;)

MARK

Feb 11, 2009, 02:06 PM

Alta, stick with Mark and don't try to creat that floating section you describe, you will have a leak and no structural stability.

Feb 12, 2009, 02:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Alta, stick with Mark and don't try to creat that floating section you describe, you will have a leak and no structural stability.
    Maybe I was not understood.
    I meant to put the repair coupling anyway, like in this picture.
    Attached Images

Feb 12, 2009, 03:02 PM

Your coupling is out of proportion in that picture, you have it almost twice its true length compared to the diameter. Remove 1/4 of the blue on both left and right and you will start to see there isn't that much hanging onto the two pipe ends.

Feb 13, 2009, 01:31 PM
    I tried last night to practice with a 3 inch fitting and a spare 3 inch pipe.
    I did not use any glue of course.
    Putting the 3 inch fitting into a 3 inch pipe or viceversa is not easy. It just doesn't slide in easily.
    Do you have any advice how to easily slide it into the sleeve?

I can slide it just maybe 1/4 of the total sleeve you can slide in into. The only way to slide it fully was to apply force with a malet at one end. Is that OK?

The pipe that I'm trying to cut and change is in a very narrow place - not too much room and the length that is exposed is about 2-3 feet.
    I need to cut it at both ends and insert 2 fittings ( 3 inch diameter ) then insert 1 repair coupling.
    I don't think I have enough space for 2 repair coupling.

So the best that I can do is to have a gap under the coupling ( I estimate the gap will be about 1/2 of the sleeve size, if I don't fully insert the pipe into the sleeve at the other end ).
    Would that be code safe?

Thx.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 13, 2009, 05:45 PM
    ALtadata...

Dry-fit is always a BITC*! When you are ready to prime/cement the pipe to the fitting it will slide on easy.

In terms of clamps and space needed... all will depend on just how much side-to-side flexibility the plumbing stack has once you cut into the stack.

Here, you want to plan on increasing the measurement/gap that extra 1/2" I mentioned (12" = 12.5") which will accommodate the ribs on each clamp and allow some room for crooked cut... and then make the first cut in the stack.

If you have flexibility in the stack then you install the rubber sleeve onto the pipe, fold the rubber sleeve back on itself, prime/cement the pipe/fitting into place and then move pipe into position so you can flip the rubber sleeve onto pipe and clamp it all up.

If no flexibility in the stack then you may need to increase the gap to 3/4"... or more (since you indicate you don't have the room to fit two clamps). If this is the case then I would suggest that you purchase a 4 band husky clamp (available only at a plumbing supply house) as in my picture below. These husky clamps have 4 bands, are longer and work great on plastic to plastic connections... may be good here IF no flexibility in the stack... ;)

Don't forget that the SS bands/clamp can be installed after the pipe/rubber sleeve is installed by undoing the clamp and installing after all is in place.

Finally, I'll bet there is flexibility. Plan for worst case by purchasing the two different clamp types mentioned and then make that first cut...that determines everything!

Let me know if this is clear...

MARK
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Teeing in to an existing under floor soil pipe. [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, I'm a member of several forum sites like this, but this is my first post here. I live in Des Moines, IA and my basement was one of thousands that suffered from the Floods back in June. Not a sewer back up, but the old Hydrostatic pressure. I had installed a sump last year,...

How do you identify existing cpvc or pvc pipe. [ 5 Answers ]

I have a solar heater on my swimming pool. The three way control valve has failed and I need to replace it. The manufacturer sells both pvc and cpvc valves. How do I know which one I have? Doug

Tie into existing pipe [ 2 Answers ]

Any suggestions on how attach a shower drain to a 3" stack pipe. I would just cut the pipe off an inch or so above the concrete, but there is a coupling at ground level! I need to cut the pipe, but didn't know of a way to attach back up. I went to the local hardware store and found a union for a...

Replacing 70' of existing drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

What is a fair price for laying new pipe and removing old? Is it reasonable for the plumber to ask to cut down a tree? Two trees? It seems that some type of repair where the problem area that is full of roots, cut be cut away and pvc laid in using end caps. Is that impractical?:confused:

How to install a stand pipe using existing plumbing [ 6 Answers ]

I'd like to convert the plumbing from a small "grease sink" to a stand pipe for my washer. Is this possible? Is the pipe's diameter too small to accommodate the pressure from the discharge of water from the washer? What's the recommended diameter of the pipes for a stand pipe?

View more questions Search