Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Islands Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2007, 07:03 PM
    Bath sink won't drain, pipes clear
    We installed a bath sink that repaced similar one... older house, sink drains into floor not wall... has a "s" pipe, as before, but now won't drain after water runs a minute... then it gulps and a bubble comes out. Then drains very very slowly. Help!?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 20, 2007, 09:22 PM
    I don't know what you could have done but it sounds like your vent is not clear. The gulps is air bubbling back. Remove your S trap and try some rodding about 4-6 feet with an auger. S traps are now illegal but you get to keep yours, grandfathered.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2007, 09:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Islands
    we installed a bath sink that repaced similar one....older house, sink drains into floor not wall..........has a "s" pipe, as before, but now won't drain after water runs a minute....then it gulps and a bubble comes out. then drains very very slowly. help!!??
    Does the new sink have an overflow?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 21, 2007, 06:56 AM
    If you've installed a "S" trap then it's venting through the trap,(your gulp and bubble). Try installing a AAV,( Air Admittance Valve) just after the trap. Cut in a tee in the vertical drain coming out of the "S" trap and install a streel ell facing up. You my now instal a AAV on the street ell. This will vent the lavatory and relieve the suction that's stopping the flow. Good luck. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to Clear Hotpoint Refrig Defrost Drain? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Hotpoint HTS20GBWW refrig (top freezer type) about 3 years old. A couple of days ago, we noticed water building up underneath the crispers, and eventually leaking out the front once it builds up enough to overflow the lip of the bottom refrigeration compartment. From a little research, I...

Bath sink drain [ 6 Answers ]

Re: a rather new bath sink. I noticed drops of water coming from the BOTTOM PART OF THE LARGE NUT whick is attached to the sink. The part of the pipe that the nut is on is closest to the bottom of the actual sink itself. The drops look as if they they are coming from the underside of the nut. ...

New bath fixture - pipes vibrating! [ 5 Answers ]

We've recently remodeled our 50 year old bathroom. Replaced our tub shower with a new single handle blending valve. Now we're totally freaked out because the pipes appear to be vibrating when we set the handle for a warm blend of water. No vibration when full hot, or full cold, just when it's...

Kitchen Sink/Laundry Sink Drain Vent Non-exist [ 3 Answers ]

The set-up from kitchen sink leading down to drain to basement: 1. Kitchen sink - (R side) - connected to a P drain I think you call it -PVC-, connected to a "metal" T, which has a Studer vent gizmo attached to the top of it, then draining into a metal pipe straight down to the drain in the...

Adding another sink in bath [ 1 Answers ]

I am going from a single sink in the bath to a double sink. They will be on the same counter as the old one. Will it be possible to branch off the single water lines and run it to both sinks. Also can I run the drains to the single drain all ready there.

View more questions Search