Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    juanito708 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2007, 02:22 PM
    What do I do if my mother in law claimed my wife?
    Me and my wife had gotten married on dec. 18 2006 and her mother claimed her yet so did I I thought she could not claim her because she is my wife what do I do?
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2007, 02:36 PM
    If you are positive that your mother-in-law has already filed her tax return, and since it is far from being the deadline of April 15, your mother-in-law needs to file an amended return and there shouldn't be a problem.

The other option is that you yourself file a married but separate return so that your mother-in-law can have the benefit of claiming your wife for the year. There is no law that keeps her from claiming your wife as a dependent. The only crime that comes into play is if you BOTH claim her as a dependent.

Hope this helped clear things up.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 28, 2007, 03:56 PM
    Your mother in law can not legally claim her, but heck people just make up kids and try to claim them. So your mother in law filed a incorrect tax return, you merely file yours correctly, and tell her she had better correct hers.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 28, 2007, 04:22 PM
    The rule is that you have to have paid 50% support for someone to claim them as a dependent. Sounds like Your mom-in-law is more likely to fulfill that requirement.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2007, 04:38 PM
    Scott & Fr Chuck - FYI: Juanito sent me a private message after I posted. It seemed to suggest that his wife was living with him throughout all of 2006. So, I told him if that was the scenario, he had every right to claim her, since they were married in 2006 and that if his mother-in-law doesn't amend her return, she is the one liable if the gov't picks up on it, not him.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 28, 2007, 04:56 PM
    Thanks for passing that along, Ruby. An example of why questions should be public.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 28, 2007, 05:01 PM
    ALCON:

If you are married, it is unlikely your parents can legally claim you, even if they provided over 50% of your support. That's the law.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Husband and mother-in-law [ 6 Answers ]

My husband is overly attatched to his mother. He has to call her everyday if he doesn't she gets mad at him. He has to do what she wants him to because if he doesn't she will stop talking to him. We have two children together and he has an older daughter from a different relationship. This has...

My mother in law is driving me c [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone , I love my mother-in-law very much but... She is trying to change My wedding plans.Our ceremony was going to be in a chapel but now we our going to have it in the same location as the reception just because she said that we could save money now my dreamd of having...

Future mother in-law [ 4 Answers ]

Hey guys Just after some help, advice, comments... etc, thanks. My future mother in-law has said some really nasty things about me to my boyfriend, and she deliberately tried to split us up. My boyfriend didn't listen to her and told her she was wrong, but she still tried to talk him into...

Ex mother in law.. What is she doing? [ 4 Answers ]

Hey.. You might remember me from my last post.. It was about my ex sending all kinds of sings he misses me(Posting our picture as his Myspace default, as his msn messenger display, sending me romantic songs that say "i miss you", asking me for pictures of the 2 of us.. etc) and me being confused...

View more questions Search