Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Amateur_vince Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2006, 12:04 PM
    Water flow
    Speedball1,

I'm concerning about not having high volume of water to flow from all the newly added bathroom upstairs. What I have right now is a 3/4" cooper pipe comming in from the water meter. This 3/4" cooper pipe is then going into a manifold plumbing system for PEX pipes through out the house. All the output water supply lines going out from this manifold plumbing system are 1/2 inch.

1. As the point of the central manifold plumbing system, which is sitting in the basement, to the new full bathroom upstairs, I would said it's about 25-30feet long for the water supply pipes. Would the water supply lines for the full bathroom upstairs have enough pressure to service all the fixtures with the 1/2" pipe from the basement up?

2. If not, can I go from an 1/2 inch output supply lines from the mainfold to 3/4 inch supply lines for the upstairs bathroom to increase the high volume of water flow here?

Please advice if you come up with the best alternate solution.

Thanks again for your help
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 30, 2006, 01:01 PM
    Hi Vince, Nice hearing from you again.

"1. As the point of the central manifold plumbing system, which is sitting in the basement, to the new full bathroom upstairs, I would said it's about 25-30feet long for the water supply pipes. Would the water supply lines for the full bathroom upstairs have enough pressure to service all the fixtures with the 1/2" pipe from the basement up?"
    Pex systems deliver pressure to each fixture through a dedicated supply. Is this what you have? Or are you asking if one 1/2" line will service the new bathroom?

" 2. If not, can I go from an 1/2 inch output supply lines from the mainfold to 3/4 inch supply lines for the upstairs bathroom to increase the high volume of water flow here?"

With dedicated supplies there should be no need to increase the supplies to 3/4". Do you have direct lines from the manifold that go to each fixture with no branches?
    Vince, I have your rough in drawings in my "Work In Progress" folder. Can I close it out or are you still working on it?
    Regards, Tom

May 30, 2006, 02:06 PM
    That's fast. I bet you made a lot of people happy!

Anyway, yes you can delete the drawing you did for me. Back to the water flow email.

I don't have the direct lines from the manifold that would dedicated to go to each fixtures for the new bathroom. Can one 1/2" line of hot water and one 1/2" line of cold water be sufficiently provided high volume of water flow to all of the fixtures for the new bathroom upstairs?

Again your feed backs are appreciated.

Thanks.
    Eternal Plumber

May 30, 2006, 02:20 PM
    "Can one 1/2" line of hot water and one 1/2" line of cold water be sufficiently provided high volume of water flow to all of the fixtures for the new bathroom upstairs?"
    I don't know about "high volume" but code calls for not more then three fixtures off a 1/2"branch. A Pex system calls for a dedicated supply to each fixture off a common manifold. If you're asking if there will be a pressureand volume drop if all the fixtures are on at the same time the answer is yes they will.
    Will the loss be great enough to effect the malfunction of any fixture? Probably not. However, most bathrooms with a tub/shower, toilet and lavatory are supplied off a 1/2" branch fed by a 3/4" main.
    Good luck, Tom

May 30, 2006, 03:31 PM
    SpeedBall1,

Based on your feed backs, and I just want to focus on the main 3/4" water supply lines right now, and keep in mind that at the end of main lines I will feed them into the manifold PEX systems.

First, I'll plan to split the main 3/4" water supply from the meter into two 3/4" water supply lines, one of them is dedicated for upstairs. The second is for the rest of the home.

Second, I'll also split the 3/4" hot water into two 3/4" lines, again one for the upstairs and the other for the rest of the home.

Do you see any problem with this plan at all, any negative that I need to be aware of?

If these plans are not advisable, I want you to focus in on one of the lines out of the central manifold PEX systems. My back up plan is to upgrade a dedicate line for the bathroom upstairs from a 1/2" line to 3/4" line out of the manifold. Would going from 1/2" line to 3/4" causes any problem?

This is probably the last questions I ask of you, your feedbacks are valuable and I hope you continue doing what you are doing right now. You can be sure that they're many happy campers out there when they get your help.

Thanks again
    Eternal Plumber

May 31, 2006, 07:55 AM
    Hi Vince,

"First, I'll plan to split the main 3/4" water supply from the meter into two 3/4" water supply lines, one of them is dedicated for upstairs. The second is for the rest of the home."
    Sounds good to me. After you get upstairs with the cold water terminate the 3/4 with a 3/4 X 1/2 X1/2" tee and run a dedicated line to the toilet to insure the shower don't boil you. The rest of the fixtures can come off the other 1/2inch line.

"Second, I'll also split the 3/4" hot water into two 3/4" lines, again one for the upstairs and the other for the rest of the home."
    Unless you have more then 3 fixtures connecting to the hot water you won't need a 3/3" hot water supply. 1/2" will be fine.

"Would going from 1/2" line to 3/4" causes any problem?"
    While it wouldn't cause any problems itwouldn't help any. You are still choking the volume down to 1/2". You won't get that volume back by increasing to 3/4".

Bottom line I would go with plan "A". Good luck Vince and any time you need assistance you know where to come. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot Water Takes Too Long To Flow [ 8 Answers ]

Can anyone help me with this problem? I and my suite downstairs have a problem of having to run the water for a really long time before the hot water flows out. We are wasting so much water while waiting for hot water. Sometimes it even starts luke warm then goes cold and then finally hot. We...

Knock & Flow Stop at Hot Water only to Kit. Sink & D/W [ 3 Answers ]

At our kitchen sink we have a problem with the hot water flow. When the hot water is turned on full (a mixing faucet) either immediately or shortly after the water comes to a full stop simultaneously there is a knock. The water does not begin flowing until you turn off the water altogether. ...

Low water flow from city supply [ 3 Answers ]

I have good water pressure at the inlet from the city supply at 80lb. When I turn on one tap the pressure dropped to 40-60lb. Each additional tap drops another 20lb+. The flow almost slow to a trickle especially the shower when I flush the toilet. I believe my problem is low flow from the city....

Lose Of Water Flow In Bathtub [ 3 Answers ]

I have a problem with my bathtub water flow. I have a faucet with one knob that controls both the hot and cold water flow. I can pull it out with and have full water flow only if it is dispensing both cold and hot evenly. If I try to turn it to give me more hot or more cold the water flow...

Hot water flow [ 1 Answers ]

When I turn the hot water tap on the flow is normal for about 1 min, then it starts to slow down and eventually stops. I turn the tap off and then back on and it does the same again.

View more questions Search