Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brandinatay Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2009, 07:32 PM
    Sister having a baby and wants me to adopt the child
    I live in rochester New York and my 15 year old sister is pregnant and she wants me and my boyfriend to adopt it I just wanted to know what to do and how to go through with finalizing it
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2009, 04:19 AM

Sounds kind of simple, but you hire a lawyer. This isn't something you can do on your own.

I assume you are over 18, right?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Mar 28, 2009, 05:52 AM

Honestly--while sister seems to have made up her mind completely, you need to get both her and yourself into adoption counseling---by someone OTHER than an adoption agency. You can find counselors that specialize in adoption in your phone book, or by calling your physician and asking for a referral.

She THINKS she wants you to adopt her child. I am betting, though, that what her ideas on adoption are and what YOUR ideas on adoption are --those are two different things, and I'm betting that both points of view don't take into consideration what adoption LAW is like.

Look--I think it's lovely that you're willing to help your sister out. I ALSO know, from being a birthmom and having worked with many birthmoms throughout the years that a family member adopting your child is one of the toughest adjustments to make mentally and emotionally. I also don't know of a single birthmother (personally) who chose to have a family member adopt and is now on good terms with her family.

Look--when you choose adoption, you really don't understand everything that you're giving up. And to SEE what you've given up, at every single family event, at every supper at your parents', at weddings, funerals, baptisms, birthday parties---well, it's like pouring lemon juice and salt into an already painful wound, and worst of all, no one understands YOUR point of view on things, because they see the family members who adopted your child as having "bailed you out' and you should "just get over it".

If the child who is placed for adoption is still with the family, NO ONE in the family seems to understand the grieving that is needed by the birthmother.

PLEASE---before you contact a lawyer, contact a counselor. Help your sister find out what it is she TRULY wants to do. If it really and truly is to give her child to you in adoption--then GREAT! You've made sure that she has a stable mental and emotional platform from which to make that decision.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 28, 2009, 07:57 AM

Where is the father of the child?? And how old is the father of this child ? Also its not likely that both you and your boyfriend will be able to adopt the child. Many states require that adoptions that go to couples be married for at least 1 years time so they know there is some history of stability.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sister wants to adopt my son [ 3 Answers ]

My son is 14 and has been arrested twice for marijuana and is going to an alternative school. I am a single mother with another child who is 5. He refuses to follow my rules and is staying with my sister because I have to work and have no way to get him to and from school since he can't ride the...

Can I adopt or at least meet my birth half sister? [ 9 Answers ]

This sounds just like BrandiCyr's question. I was wondering if I could possibly adopt or at least find my little half sister, she's seven or eight and my parents would love to adopt her. I would love to have her. As soon as I found out I was angry that my birth mother didn't keep her. I don't know...

I am trying to adopt my baby sister. [ 6 Answers ]

I am trying to be able to adopt my sister. She is 1 and she has been in DHS custody ever since she was born. I had just learned about her in Feb. of this year and I actually learned that she was my sister in Sept. I have never gotten to know her. We live in different states. She has gone up...

How do I adopt my baby sister? [ 4 Answers ]

I am needing help on how to adopt my baby half sister. My father is extremely abusive he is a horrible horrible man. He ruined my childhood. I moved in with them at one point to help prevent him from hurting my sister but he started to hurt me again and I had to get out before it got worse. I know...

View more questions Search