Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    churst95 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2010, 08:07 AM
    Auto accident with no insurance in Iowa
    I had a slight accident - slide into a street sign - have auto insurance just not on this vehicle. I was charged with OWI, passenger in the car was taken to hospital - bump on the head - checked out fine. Will I be charged with no insurance since I already have an auto policy?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2010, 08:16 AM

Hello c:

If you have liability coverage, it SHOULD cover you in ANY car. Will you be charged?? I don't know. What did you tell the cop?? If you told him that you DON'T have insurance, then I'm SURE he WILL charge you... What?? You think cops are nice?

If he does, and you HAVE the aforementioned liability insurance, take your policy to court with you.

excon

Dec 13, 2010, 09:01 AM
    Comment on excon's post
    He never asked - he just wanted to slap the handcuffs on me and kept saying that I was lying, when I questioned him about that he just kept say that? Thank you
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 13, 2010, 09:15 AM

Why did the cop think you were lying about having insurance? You should have had your proof of insurance coverage with you in the car - if you ddn't, he had good reason to be suspicious.

Please be a more specific - did you, or did you not, have the minimum state-mandated liability insurance on the car in question? If not - is it because you never told your insurance company that you have this car?

Dec 15, 2010, 07:18 AM
    Comment on ebaines's post
    After I bought the carI had the car in the shop for over three months and when I got it out I forgot to advise the insurance company for adding it... but I do have insurance on the other car I have.
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2010, 07:25 AM

Hello again, c:

Here's the deal... Liability insurance insures YOU. That's why it doesn't matter what car you're driving... However, comprehensive (collision) insurance insures the CAR. That's why it DOES matter which car you drive.

Liability insurance is the issue here, and in my view, you're covered. Like I said earlier, if you're charged, take your insurance policy to court with you.

excon
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 15, 2010, 07:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Liability insurance is the issue here, and in my view, you're covered. Like I said earlier, if you're charged, take your insurance policy to court with you.
    Better check the wording in your policy. It may include a provision that allows liability to follow you when you are driving a car that is not yours - but only so long as the use of that other car is temporary (such as if you borrow a friend's car for a day or two). But if you use the car frequently the insurance company wants to know about it, or they will say you are not covered. My policy for example gives me 14 days to provide info if I get a new car. Otherwise what incentive would there be for policy holders to add cars to their policy? Here the OP seems to be way past the 14 day window, so indeed he may have a problem. But like I said - read the policy.
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2010, 07:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    But like I said - read the policy.
    Hello again, e:

You're a smart man. Of course, I agree with you...

If this controversy was between the OP and his insurance company, what you say is absolutely correct... However, it's between the OP and the state. Therefore, should he submit his current policy as evidence, I believe, the charges will be dismissed, whether he's technically covered or not.

excon

Dec 15, 2010, 08:04 AM
    Comment on excon's post
    But as I stated before a passenger was taken to the hospital to be checked out, will I be liable for the medical bills since I didn't have car listed on policy?
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2010, 08:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by churst95 View Post
    but as I stated before a passenger was taken to the hospital to be checked out, will I be liable for the medical bills since I didn't have car listed on policy?
    Hello again, c:

That, my friend, is another question... I'm sure there are restrictions like ebaines said. Read your policy. Better yet, let the injured person make their claim, and your provider will pay or not.

excon

Dec 15, 2010, 08:16 AM
    Comment on excon's post
    Thank you all for your insight on this questions I have, I will get back to you all and let you know how this all turns out - my fingers crossed. Thank you for your time.
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2010, 08:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by churst95 View Post
    - slide into a street sign - have auto insurance just not on this vehicle. I was charged with OWI,
    Hello again, c:

I'm going to change up... I re-read your OP.

IF OWI, is operating a vehicle while intoxicated, your insurance company ISN'T going to cover you. I'm SURE there are exceptions in your policy should you have an accident while driving drunk... Again, read your policy.

excon

Dec 16, 2010, 08:46 AM
    Comment on excon's post
    One more question I don't have my policy handy, would the injured passenger uninsured coverage cover his medical expenses being in an uninsured vehicle?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Involved in accident without insurance but she had insurance [ 12 Answers ]

I live in PA. An older lady hit my car per the police report it states that she turned directly into my driverside of my car as I had the right of way. My car was damaged & I was hurt. I contacted my insurance company they told me my policy cancelled 3 days before the accident but its OK now...

Auto accident, whose insurance do I call. [ 12 Answers ]

Hello, I got into a car accident a few days ago, and the police report stated that I was not at fault. The other person got a citation. I contacted the other parties insurance company and filed a claim an hour after the accident. My two questions are: Am I to contact my insurance as well?...

Proof of Insurance for a no-fault auto accident [ 6 Answers ]

I was recently involved in an accident. Unfortunately, my insurance lapsed. I have witnesses that claim the accident was not my fault. However, since I did not have insurance at the time, I do not know what I may be liable for. If I can prove the accident was not my fault, will that mean I will not...

View more questions Search