Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jaime Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2005, 08:06 AM
    No water to upstairs shower
    Hello. I hope someone can help! Yesterday I had only hot water running in my upstairs shower and assumed it was a valve problem.. . But this morning I have no water, not even a drip, and when I run the water in the sink in the next room it comes up the drain of the shower and does not drain back out. All of the other faucets, toilets and showers/tubs are running hot and cold just fine. Any ideas?? Thank you in advance. :confused:
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2005, 08:52 AM
    The problems are definitely separate... but possibly coincidentally related.

Has it been cold enough that you might have frozen supply and drain lines?

Dec 8, 2005, 09:04 AM
    It has been quite cold. It is possible that the drain line may have frozen. But I am getting water and drainage to the rest of the bathroom. Does that make sense? Is there anything I can do to check or unfreeze the drain without involving a plumber?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 9, 2005, 07:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jaime
    hello. i hope someone can help! yesterday i had only hot water running in my upstairs shower and assumed it was a valve problem. . . but this morning i have no water, not even a drip, and when i run the water in the sink in the next room it comes up the drain of the shower and does not drain back out. all of the other faucets, toilets and showers/tubs are running hot and cold just fine. any ideas??? thank you in advance. :confused:
    Hi Jamie,
    Are you on a well or city water?
    Sounds like you have more then one problem. The lavatory drain's blocked and needs to be snaked out from the roof vent. The shower valve has crud or mineral build up in the inlet ports. You will have to shut the water off and open up the valve. First clean out the cartridge ports and then turn the water on for a minute and flush out the supplies and valve body. A freezeup is doubtful inside a heated house so I'm discounting that. Let me know what you find. Tom

Dec 9, 2005, 09:53 AM
    Thanks
    Hi tom. Thank you so much for the response. Luckily, the water came back on. We had a deep freeze on wed. night and I think what happened is that the previous owners installed the shower/tub and did not properly insulate the pipes. We are going to have to cut a hole in the drywall so we can insulate the pipes. The drain also cleared, so I guess that had something to do with the cold as well. Thank you again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot water to all areas except upstairs shower [ 3 Answers ]

My upstairs shower is getting no hot water but the sinks in same bathroom get hot water as well as downstairs kitchen, washer and bathrooms. One thing that might have caused this is this upstairs shower has not been used in awhile. I have one gas hot water heater located in garage. What can I do to...

Low pressure in my upstairs bathroom shower [ 7 Answers ]

I need some help. My bathroom on the 2nd floor has very little hot water pressure in the sink and shower... I cleaned out the screens and had my hot water heater flushed... any ideas?

No water upstairs! [ 2 Answers ]

We are replacing our bathroom. In anticipation of putting the new bath in, we turned off the stopcocks. There was a slight delay in replacing the bath so we turned the stopcock back on. Problem is, we have water downstairs but no water upstairs. There is a very slight trickle of hot water but no...

Leak in ceiling from upstairs shower [ 2 Answers ]

The ceiling in my downstairs bathroom leaks when the upstairs shower is used. The leak starts about five minutes after the shower has been turned on and continues after the shower is turned off. The leak is coming from two or three small holes in the wood directly beneath the upstairs shower. ...

Leak from upstairs shower drain [ 5 Answers ]

My house is about 2 years old and the original owner had an extra upstairs bathroom installled by a plumber rather than the builder. The shower is used infrequently and I noticed a leak on the first floor ceiling today. Should I expect the plumber to honor the work after a 1 1/2 years and prior...

View more questions Search