Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ernest Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2005, 09:35 PM
    Variable Stars
    I have forgotten how scientists measure the distance to stars by studying nearby varible stars. Please explain.
    Adrastus Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2007, 10:15 PM
    A spectrum analysis of the light from the star (i.e. redshift) can determine how long the light took to get from the star to Earth, and since the speed of light is a known constant (3^8 meters/sec.) that can be used to determine how far the light traveled.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 24, 2007, 06:56 AM
    There is a certain type of variable star known as a "Cephiud," which is believed to always shine at the same intrinsic brightness. It is therefore a convenient "standard candle." Astronomers look for these particular star types in other galaxies, measure the star's apparent brightness, and then determine the distance to that star based on the fact that the brightness is proportional to the inverse square of its distance (i.e. a star that is twce as far away appears 1/4 as bright). Measuring these variable stars is what leads to an estimate of the value of Hubble's constant, which is what Adrastus seems to be referring to.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Name and Artist (And I swear, By the moon and the stars in the sky) [ 13 Answers ]

I am looking for the name and artist of the song that goes like this: And I swear, by the moon and the stars in the sky, I'll be there. I swear, like a shadow that's by your side, I'll be there. For better for worse, til death do us part, I'll love you with every beat of my heart, I swear. ...

Fixed cost are really variable [ 1 Answers ]

I need some help regarding my college assignment.. The question is about fixed cost.. Could somebody please help me? “Fixed costs are really variable. The more you produce, the smaller the unit cost of production.” Is this statement correct? Why or why not? Use an example to explain...

Comic books based on rock stars [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'd like to know how many rock, pop, rap or metal artists have their own comic book. I know, for example, that Kiss have one, but I don't know if they are more examples. Is there any website with information about all that? Thanks!!

Wandering Stars [ 3 Answers ]

Are all stars locked into galaxies or are there loose stars moving through space free to travel wherever they are heading?

Variable costing [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone please help me with the following question: What effect will applying variable costing have on the income statement and the balance sheet?

View more questions Search