Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    halfpint123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2003, 01:00 PM
    Standard of care vs standard of practice
    In terms of medicine, what is the difference between the standard of care and the standard of practice?
    trainer0226 Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Nov 17, 2005, 06:47 PM
    Vs
    To be honest I don't really see a diffreence. I think that they both mean what the baseline is and what treatment is done to everyone everywhere. That would be the standard of care.
    woe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2010, 07:52 PM
    Standard of care is a legal concept related to negligence and used in the Court system. In health it is defined as the reasonable and prudent practitioner in like circumstance.

Standard of practice is a regulatory concept related to professional conduct and is used by the statutorily authorized regulator for that particular profession. It can be defined as the minimum level of knowledge, skill and judgement acceptable for a certatin procedure or conduct.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2010, 06:22 PM

Every board certified medical specialty publishes clinical practice guidelines. These range from diagnosis to treatment. Further there may be guidelines that emanate from several sources, specialty boards, regulatory agencies, and particularly the National Institutes of Health.

These practice guidelines advise, educate and direct physicians of methods and practices proven effective, substantiated by medical consensus and current research.

You name the condition and there will be a plethora of corresponding practice guidelines.

Therefore practice (what the physician does) could be at variance with care (what the patient receives).

My apologies for the dissertation and remain uncertain if this addresses the distinction you advanced.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Standard deduction for H1B/OPT [ 8 Answers ]

I cannot decide if I am eligible to claim the $5000 (or 4850?) standard deduction. I was on an F-1 visa until Sep 30 this year (on OPT from June 29 - Sep 30). I have been on H1-B since Oct 1. I suppose that means I count as a non-resident for tax purposes. Now, according to pub 519,...

Standard Deductions [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I have a question and wondering if anybody could answer this. I am an Indian National and was holding an F-1 Visa from August 2002 through August 2005. My Visa status got changed on September 15, 2005 to H-1B. So my starting date is September 15, 2005. Can anybody tell me what form should I...

Standard deductions [ 14 Answers ]

Hi, I was working on F1 visa (OPT) from Jan 1, 2005 till Nov 30, 2005. My H1 started from 1st Dec 2005. I am using 1040NR-EZ for filing my taxes. Am I right? Or do I have to use both 1040 and 1040 NR? Also I am a bit confused about my deductions. Can I claim standard deductions, as I was on...

Standard distances? [ 4 Answers ]

Is there a standard distance for placement of center of water closet drain to finished wall? I'm roughing in sewer plumbing in basement for future build-out before slab is poured.

Standard Costing [ 0 Answers ]

Pl. Provide me formulas of standard costing for Materials.

View more questions Search