Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    re151731 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2005, 02:30 PM
    Gfci breaker popping
    After installing a second outdoor fan, I tied into an existing fan under an enclosed porch.I decided it would be smart to install a gfci breaker to protect them (vs the standard breaker).
    The circuit is tied into my kitchen an outdoor spot lights. With all the individual light circuits either isolated with the wall switch or disconnected, the gfci continues to pop.The only thing I can think of is the power source to the lighting switch box is faulty.Am I on the right track? How can I troubleshoot the switch box incoming power.Thanks for any help you can provide.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2005, 04:25 PM
    Check to be sure this is a 2 wire circuit, if it is a 3 wire, with two hots(circuits) and a common neutral,this will cause a GFI to trip. Reverse polarity may be the problem also.

You may think you have everything isolated,but there most likely is a tap feeding something else live power.

The paddle fan(s), do either of them have a light kit, that you can only operate using the pullstring on the fan? This is an example of unswitched power in the circuit.

You mention kithcen light... are any of the light fluorescent? The ballasts commonly have a small amount of current flowing to ground, thus, a ground fault.

The possibilities are endless. The GFI is clearly doing its job, but either may be due to a real ground fault somewhere in the circuit, or the circuit is miswired. Very difficult to troubleshoot a problem like this here, all I can do is give you an idea what to look for.

You may need to begin taking all the wires apart ateach device, light, switch, and energize the circuit a little at a time to finally find what is causing the GFI to trip.

Not sure how much of this helps. Check all the causes I have mentioned and see if you can locate the culprit. If you need more help get back with your questions, and any more detail you can offer.

Aug 16, 2005, 05:00 PM
    This is a 2 conductor circuit. I will look to see if any other circuits could be tapped off as you suggested. Thanks, will give you an update.

Aug 17, 2005, 06:14 PM
    There are two lighting circuits that utilize 3 way switching. Is this what you are referring to as a 3 wire circuit? Thanks.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2005, 06:40 PM
    I think what TK meant was a circuit like an electric range that is 240v with the light, timer, and the heating elements part of the time feeding back the neutral. The common 3 way switches shouldn't be a problem. Check all the neutrals too. If one of them is shorted to ground, it could trip it too. Otherwise, disconnect everything, and connect it back one wire at a time as he said.
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2005, 06:49 PM
    Two lighting circuits? Do they both use one neutral, using a 3 wire cable, black red, and white, from the panel out to the lighting fixtures.

If this is the case, then this is the problem, GFI breaker cannot protect one circuit that shares a neutral.

And Labman mention something I did mean to mention before, anywhere in the circuit, the neutral may be shorted, or connected to the bare or green equipment grond, this will cause the GFI to trip also.

I kind of refer to this asking about polarity.

Good catch Labman
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2005, 07:42 PM
    A clarification on the 3 wire cable. Carefully note TK said between the panel and 2 lighting circuits. You can run 2 circuits off a 3 wire cable, which messes up GFI. He was not referring to the 3 wire cable from one switch to the other. Sometimes real experts don't realize how much detail DIY needs.

Aug 18, 2005, 05:56 PM
    Thanks all for your help.
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2005, 06:00 PM
    Your welcome, but can you get back to us with what you found to be the problem.

Those of us who answer like to see how we have helped, what the problem was, and how you corrected it.

This helps us with providing better answers in the future.

Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A/c popping main breaker [ 4 Answers ]

We purchased a reconditioned unit to replace an older unit in a mobile home. The unit worked in the shop where we purchased it. We hooked up the 2 110V lines and then turned on the thermostat to cool. Immediately following, the main 100 amp breaker popped. We then disconnected the thermostat wires...

Gfci popping now? [ 5 Answers ]

OK I have a fridge and a freezer in basement plugged into an outlet that's connected to a 20 amp gfci receptacle in the garage wired to a 15 amp breaker in fuse panel. It's been this way for 15 years without problem.. Now gfci pops. I unplugged the freezer (about 5 years old) and everything works...

Switch keeps popping breaker [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I was try to hook up an outside light to an existing connection for a friend. The original install consisted of using the circuit from the receptacle used for the refrigerator, to power the switch for a light in panty and outside. First off the switch is a duplex type, or a double switch...

Circuit breaker popping [ 4 Answers ]

We just got a new refrigerator and the circuit braker for the air conditioning keeps popping. We live in Central FL by Daytona and it is really hot right now but we can't keep the air running. Help!!

Gfci breaker [ 2 Answers ]

My question is I have a 50 amp GFCI breaker that I will be installing in the breaker box. I have another 50 amp GFCI breaker box that must be installed within 5 feet away from the hot tub. Is it OK to install both 50 amp GFCI breakers for this hot tub I realize I don't need two GFCI's but I...

View more questions Search