Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SBowman Posts: 71, Reputation: 6

Jan 7, 2007, 06:35 PM
    Need tips for the Road Test.
    I have problems relaxing. I'm getting my road test tomorrow in Kitchener (a city notorious for its terrible roads), and I'm extremely nervous. When I get nervous, I shake, twitch, and piss my pants - metaphorically speaking, that is (*ahem*). I took the road test before, but it was a long time ago in a different city, and I failed because I sadly turned left in an intersection when there were cars across that could go right through it. I knew about that, but my twitchiness got a hand on me.

My problem is trying to calm down and not be so nervous, but I've tried many things (including books and videos), but to no avail. My best strategy is to stop eating and sleeping so I'm malnutritioned and tired so I have just the right amount of energy from my nervous twitching to drive properly on the test. I sincerely need your help, since that honestly is my best idea so far. Also, I tried to take deep breaths, they just increased my hyperactivity.

Any tips concerning relaxing or the road test? Any serious help would be great, thanks.
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Jan 7, 2007, 07:00 PM
    Well, not a tip for relaxing, but if this is the G2 exit test - exaggerate your head movements.

The examiner will be watching you to make sure you are checking your mirrors, looking in your blind spots, looking both ways at all intersections. Normally, a lot of this (especially the mirror checks) can be done just by moving your eyes. The examiner can't see this, so jerk your head when you look in the rear-view. If your neck isn't sore by the end of it, you probably weren't moving your head enough.

I don't think the lack of sleep and malnutrition is a good idea, though. They may make you less twitchy, but they'll also dull your mind. You need to be alert for the test. Instead, try the simple (and cliche'd) breathing trick:

Deep breath in through the nose, out through the mouth. Repeat over and over.

Tell the instructor that you're feeling nervous about the test. Sure, they get it all the time, but if they know you're nervous, they might give you a bit of leeway during the test.

And remember, it's just driving. You do it all the time. There's nothing to be worried about.
    SBowman Posts: 71, Reputation: 6

Jan 7, 2007, 07:07 PM
    Thanks, still looking for more advice. *jots down on hand*
    faultlesssummer Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Jan 30, 2007, 10:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SBowman
    I have problems relaxing. I'm getting my road test tomorrow in Kitchener (a city notorious for its terrible roads), and I'm extremely nervous. When I get nervous, I shake, twitch, and piss my pants - metaphorically speaking, that is (*ahem*). I took the road test before, but it was a long time ago in a different city, and I failed because I sadly turned left in an intersection when there were cars across that could go right through it. I knew about that, but my twitchiness got a hand on me.

My problem is trying to calm down and not be so nervous, but I've tried many things (including books and videos), but to no avail. My best strategy is to stop eating and sleeping so I'm malnutritioned and tired so I have just the right amount of energy from my nervous twitching to drive properly on the test. I sincerely need your help, since that honestly is my best idea so far. Also, I tried to take deep breaths, they just increased my hyperactivity.

Any tips concerning relaxing or the road test? Any serious help would be great, thanks.
    Just don't worry. The more you worry and think about it the more you will be nervous. You will be okay. I coast on my road test for my class A lic. And that is automatic failure so I know how you feel. I was nervous too. It doesn't pay off.
    jesslavo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2007, 11:37 PM
    I think it is hard to learn how to drive when you are an intelligent person. You are afraid of damaging the car or hurting someone, you are over complicating it. Look at the rd, think about how you kick at video games, remember you control the car you can break when you want or drive the speed limit if you want. I am just learning how to drive, I was very nervous too and was shaking but you have to think about all the idiots you see on the rd. If they can do it so can you! The best thing to do is take a couple of in car driving lessons because they really keep you calm and do baby steps with you. You will feel OK when you are in the car with them. Also you have to learn right, and as with everything else you will make mistakes, sometimes people even get in fender benders, but if you are listening to what the instructor tellls you and keep calm, don't panick you will be OK, lots of people drive so you can too.
    mrangara Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Aug 6, 2008, 12:10 PM
    Hey don't be nervous... even I was v nervous and thought I will get a nervous breakdown.. I haven't driven even once nad when my husband tried to teach me I was pathetic.. I thought I was one of those people who cannot drive- period.but then my friend suggested an instructor who's an ex military guy and I had practice for 10 hours and I was good but even then on day of road teat I was all jittery and was making stupid mistakes.. Thank god the DMV asked us to come the next day for drive test.I rode in the highways and all intersections the previous evening and again to the DMV in the morning and once I saw my examiner I was all right... I rode and passed... she just found 3 points to correct... maintain my spped and not to sloe down and change in the same lane... so I guess thers no way to calm down your nerves just finish it off sooner...
    dizzle0640 Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Nov 7, 2008, 12:37 AM
    Bb
    JordanGM Posts: 4, Reputation: 0

Oct 14, 2010, 10:01 AM
    Dude, just think of nervousness like this: It's a problem YOU cause for no reason at all which helps nothing. It does no good and it just makes you do things crappier than you usually would. Nervousness can easily be overlooked. Take a deep breath, tell yourself "It's nothing, I've got this" and do your thang.

Being nervous is a problem created in your mind, it's not anything real. There's no REAL reason to be nervous. What's the worst that could happen? You fail and have to retake the test, which is not that big of a deal... and don't worry, Kitchener's roads are nothing compared to Sudbury's (where I'm doing my test in... 2 hours.)
    JordanGM Posts: 4, Reputation: 0

Oct 14, 2010, 10:08 AM
    Some quick tips I can give you...

Exaggerate your head movements, as someone said.

ALWAYS stay in the right lane, unless you're turning LEFT. If you turn left, once you finish the turn, lane-change (Signal, mirror, check blind spot) to the right ASAP.

Check your mirrors (rear view, side mirrors) every 5-10 seconds. When you cross an intersection, check your rear view mirror.

When you make a right turn, look over your shoulder (right shoulder, not left lol).

If you're at an intersection turning left and you have a red light or cars are coming towards you (so you can't turn), GIVE THE RIGHT-OF-WAY TO THE CARS COMING TOWARD YOU. That's why I failed my first try... a car stopped and was turning right coming towards me and I went to go in front of him... -.-

If you don't find you're exaggerating your head-movements enough... tell the tester what you're doing. You might feel stupid but it's better than her thinking you aren't paying attention. (Example: I'm checking my mirrors, I'm checking the intersection, I'm looking for pedestrians, etc.)

Good luck!
    Tacotuna Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2011, 10:44 AM
    And you want to shallow your breath, lmao deep breathing in a time of panic results in hyperventilation, "too much oxygen" You'll concentrate much better if you don't faint from excessive inhalation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How hard is it to pass the road test to get your N? [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if someone could tell me how hard it is to get there N and what advice I should have before taking the test because I am really nervous!!

Help me to pass the road test [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, This is my first time to writing someplace to get help. The problem I am having May be is not a big issue in your eyes, but please help me. I am trying to get A driving license. as millions of people are driving. I feel so embarrassed as I still don't have my license so I can drive freely...

Road Runner items [ 6 Answers ]

Need help in locating Road Runner items to add to my tiny collection. Anyone know where to find anything for the Road Runner? Have tried a search on the net and not very much out there. Your help would be appreciated. The Road Runner is a cartoon character along with the Coyote who's always trying...

Road easement [ 1 Answers ]

I am wanting to buy 36 acres of land. The only way to access the land is from an old coal mine road which I would not own. Are there laws that would allow me an easement to use the road if the roads owner is not willing to allow me access?

View more questions Search