Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chuff Posts: 3,397, Reputation: 1235
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2006, 02:19 PM
    Kink in my neck
    I have a kink in my neck that I just can't seem to get rid of. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what I might be able to do to help this problem? Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me.
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Oct 22, 2006, 09:01 PM
    How about finding a place where you can get a 10-15 minute chair massage? They usually charge about a dollar a minute. It would likely be very worth it. Otherwise, try a hot bath, perhaps with some sea salt, or soothing herbs such as lavender. You could possibly try getting more potassium and/or magnesium in your diet. Don't take potassium supplements though, as they aren't generally recommended for people without certain health conditions.
    Take care. Hope you get some relief soon.
    jgj6331 Posts: 153, Reputation: 19

Oct 23, 2006, 06:55 AM
    There are multiple possible causes for your symptoms - the most common is probably stress - that is why you often hear of someone or something referred to as a "pain in the neck". Viral infections can cause prolonged neck spasms as can trauma such as a "whiplash" injury. Underlying arthritis of the neck or a "pinched nerve" can be a source of these symptoms. There are rarer conditions such as torticollis and meningitis to consider and some medications can be the culprit. Even sleeping on it "wrong" can cause nagging neck pain. If your symptoms last for more than a few days, you need to seek the opinion of a physician. If your symptoms are severe, they can prescribe a muscle relaxant to help with the pain and stiffness - and they can follow up with tests to pinpoint the cause in your case...
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2006, 06:57 AM
    I have had a kink in my neck since I was a teenager and it just gets worse. Especially with work. Suggestion get it checked by a doctor. Could be just a muscle spasm or as others have said some kind of infection causing those symptoms.

Another thought which people have tried telling me all my life is that stress can actually cause your neck and shoulder muscles to tense up causing kinks and knots that just won't go away.

Joe
    laura_ko Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2007, 09:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by chuff
    I have a kink in my neck that I just can't seem to get rid of. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what I might be able to do to help this problem? Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me.
    I recently started a heavy labor job and it has resulted in musle spasms/kinks in my neck that travel to my left shoulder and down to my chest making my breathing very shallow. I haven't experimented with a lot, but it seems just 2 Advil and heating pad with some massaging helps tremendously. Try that, and I've recently started doing stretching everyday before work to help prevent later occurrences.
    chuff Posts: 3,397, Reputation: 1235
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2007, 10:39 AM
    Hey Laura, and everybody else for that matter let me updat you all. I had that kink in my neck for probably 4 months and I actually had a massage once and it didn't seem to help. Then around November or December I slept on the floor for three nights and I've been fine ever since. So there's my recommendation, sleep on the floor, other than providing full support for your back and neck I can't tell you exactly why it works but it does, and it hasn't been back since.
    jgj6331 Posts: 153, Reputation: 19

May 15, 2007, 11:00 AM
    Laura,

Although your pains are most likely musculoskeletal and related to your new job - any time someone has shoulder pain (particularly on the left) that radiates into the neck and chest - and that it affects your breathing - it is imperative that you have these symptoms evaluated by a doctor to rule out heart disease. Your symptoms could also be related to angina and ischemic heart disease. Please don't delay in having this checked out ASAP...
    Kushielrose Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2009, 08:44 AM
    Laura,
    You most likely have a pinched nerve that is surrounded by a knot. If you get rid of the knot your pain should go away. I've had many, many, many pinched nerves from my job.
    Dr.maya Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2011, 05:21 PM
    It works really good if you use a hot pillow and put it the microwave for about a min after its don't lay on it for 6 min then take a nice hot shower after your don't have someone give you a deep massage

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Neck pain [ 2 Answers ]

A few months ago, I as to what I should do about my neck pain. Since then I've gone to a physical therapist (twice a week) and though the pain has lessened and the muscles loosened, there still pain present. I'm thinking of telling my doctor to refer me to an orthpedic surgeon. Can you guys...

Neck rash [ 8 Answers ]

A few years ago I began to notice a rash on one side of my neck. Today it has progressed to both sides of my lower face and down both sides of my neck. It is dark and splotchy. Any idea what might be causing this discoloration?

A pain in the neck [ 2 Answers ]

:eek: I just had yet another test done. I went to an ENT he checked my hearing. My left ear buzzes and clicks. He wants me to get an MRI of the brain and a complte blood workup. He assured me that it was not in fact caused by the pinched nerves in my neck or my anti inflamatory drug I have been...

Up To Neck In... it! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi & Thanks in advance for any assistance... I recently bought my 2 story on concrete foundation (no basement or crawlspace) home and all was well for 1st couple of months. Home is 6 yrs old and previous owner acted as the sub when house was built and claimed he kept no blueprints. (our...

View more questions Search