Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lrandall Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2013, 08:31 AM
    Canadian inheritance laws children and living wife
    I am one of two children from my father's first marriage. He later remarried and had 2 more children. He just passed away recently. What rights to I have in terms of inheritance from my father's estate? My father lived in Vancouver, Canada
    lrandall Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2013, 08:37 AM
    Canadian inheritance laws children and living wife
    My father is deceased and left behind a wife, 2 children from his second marriage as well as 2 children from his first marriage. What are my rights in terms of inheritance?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 31, 2013, 08:51 AM
    A will will supercede any laws of inheritance, so first you need to find out if he left one.

https://www.bcheritagelaw.com/legal-...wills-estates/
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 31, 2013, 08:55 AM
    Please don't double post questions. I see from your other post here: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/family...fe-773426.html that you are a child from the first marriage. Your "rights" depend on what your father's will says, if he had one. Any assets held in a joint account with right of survivorship (such as joint checking account) go to the joint owner, and any "payable on death" accounts go to the named beneficiary. If he didn't have a will then after all his outstanding debts are paid off the remainder of his estate gets split up among his wife and children - the details as to who gets how much depend on which province in Canada he lived in. Tell us which province and we can be more specific.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 31, 2013, 09:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    ... Tell us which province and we can be more specific.
    The other thread indicated decedent lived in Vancouver, which is in British Columbia.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 31, 2013, 09:28 AM
    I've merged your threads. Please post any follow-up to this thread.

From this site: Making a Will and Inheritance Law in British Columbia - AngloINFO Metro Vancouver, in Metro Vancouver (Canada)

Intestacy laws prescribe that the estate will be distributed as follows, in the listed priority:

If there is a spouse and children, the spouse is entitled to:
    (a) the first $65,000
    (b) a life estate in the home
    (c) household contents
    (d) half of the residue if there is one child, or 1/3 of the residue if there is more than one child.

This assumes he left no will. So you and the other 3 children split 2/3rds of the residue.

If there was a will, then this provision comes into play:

A testator must provide "adequately" for his or her spouse and children. A court may vary the provisions of a will if it does not adequately provide for the proper maintenance and support of the testator's spouse and children.

The probate court will need to make a determination of adequacy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laws on children living with convicted felons [ 4 Answers ]

My daughter is living with someone who is a convicted felon for domestic violence, and drugs, can she lose custody of my 2 year old grandson?

Louisiana inheritance laws children [ 1 Answers ]

Inheritance In Louisiana: Background: The Father of 2 children divorces the mother of the 2 children and later marries a 2nd time to a woman who has a child from a prior marriage. The Father does not adopt child of 2nd wife. The 2nd wife works and has a pension of her own in addition to...

Louisiana inheritance laws children? [ 5 Answers ]

After the death of both parents how are assets distributed to surviving children?

What are the laws on inheritance for children of a deceased parent with a living spou [ 2 Answers ]

My brother and I are the only living children of my mother. She passed in 07. Her husband, our step father adopted us as children. Therefore he is our father leagally. The property he and my mother owned together is being mortgaged away to support his gambling habit. He tried to do a reverse...

Louisiana inheritance laws for children [ 4 Answers ]

Couple married for over fifty years in state of Louisiana, and still married. This couple has four natural born children, all children over the age of forty five and still living. None of these children have ever been in trouble with law, drugs, etc. This couple has property, and a little money,...

View more questions Search