Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bonny55 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2008, 06:07 PM
    My ballast won't work I think do to 120V supply when it's a 240V ballast will this work
    I have a 240V 60Hz 600W ballast and Im trying to hook it up in a small nursury room in my home. I like in California so I think the V ac is 120. Can I use this converter on the top of this page. Will it work if I plug it in to the wall that supplies what I think 120V. I think this because on the circuit breaker switches outside it says 120/240V. And there are two switches per sticker and only one switch will turn the power off to that outlet. Please help I'm running out of time.

220 240 Volts from 110 120 Volt Outlets - Catalog & Pricing

Feb 24, 2008, 06:32 PM
    I have an answer to my own question I just researched but have additional questions from this. I read that houses today like mine are 120V/240V. With two legs. My room uses one leg so it only has 120V. Is there a cheap way that I can get my room to use both legs on my circuit breaker to produce 240V like a 240V dryer does. I'm no electrician but will call one if it's a minor thing that won't cost over 75 bucks, but that sounds unlikely if you know what I mean. Please help because I'm trying to start a nursery for my garden but can't get started until I hook my ballast and light up.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Feb 24, 2008, 06:33 PM
    Why start a new thread when we have one going already? :confused:

I guess one of those converters would work. They are something I have never seen before.
    I will tell you in all honesty, I do NOT like the looks of them. You have to find two receptacles on different circuits in order for it to work. Plus they only have 36" cords, so the two receptacles must be within 6' of each other.
    If you kitchen is relatively modern this is about the only place you will find this.
    You say in the other thread you will have to move this light around? This will NOT be easy using that converter.

Feb 24, 2008, 06:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bonny55
    I have an answer to my own question I just researched but have additional questions from this. I read that houses today like mine are 120V/240V. with two legs. My room uses one leg so it only has 120V. Is there a cheap way that I can get my room to use both legs on my circuit breaker to produce 240V like a 240V dryer does. I'm no electrician but will call one if its a minor thing that won't cost over 75 bucks, but that sounds unlikely if you know what I mean.
    There is only about .0001% chance that you can convert a standard 120v receptacle to 240v. The ONLY way is if it is a dedicated receptacle, such as for an A/C or something like that. Then it can be converted from 120v to 240v.

$75?? Sorry, but I won't walk in your front door for less than $125.

Feb 24, 2008, 06:52 PM
    What about getting my room to run off two legs to draw 240V. Is that possible?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2008, 07:22 PM
    You could have a 20 amp 120 and a 240 receptacle in same box, will help if it is in conduit, this way additional wires can be pushed or pulled in.

Feb 24, 2008, 07:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bonny55
    What about getting my room to run off of two legs to draw 240V. Is that possible?
    I don't understand the question. What do you mean "your room" to run off two legs?
    Are you asking if there are two receptacles that can give you 240v so you can use that converter? Only you can tell this. You need to go around and shut breakers off to see what items are on what circuits.

I hate to say it but it seems you are way over your head here. You are looking for a fix for this problem you are having and are wanting to try anything you can to make it work.

Can I STRONGLY suggest you have a pro come in and give you an estimate on doing this right.
    You do own this home, don't you?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ballast [ 7 Answers ]

What is the test procedure for a ballast. I would like to know how wired up in light and a bench test. Thank you in advance for any help. :eek:

Ballast won't work. Might need converter. [ 5 Answers ]

I'm trying to run a 600W 60Hz 240V 3A Ballast upstairs in my house. I bought a 20A, grounding, single, 250V single Receptacle and installed. The ballast humm's and you can hear it's on, but the 600W light will not come on. I have taken all equipment and everything runs fine so I know it's the...

Ballast Hum [ 3 Answers ]

We recently added new office space in the basement of our home. I bought three fluorescent fixtures 48" with 4 T-8 32 watt bulbs in each one. These were Home Depot's "Best" quality with electronic ballasts and were supposed to be "noise free." Well, the first thing I noticed when they were...

New ballast bad? [ 3 Answers ]

I just installed a 4 bulb light fixture in the grage (110V) using a 4 bulb ballast. The problem I'm having is one bulb doesn't come on. I've changed bulbs and still the samething. I'm thinking it probably the ballast. Any ideas? Omar

Ballast question [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have a ballast that works on 240 volt normal single phase house power. My question is will it work in a warehouse that is 240 volt power. The supply is 600 volt 60 amp. My understanding is this is 3 phase power. How does that work? Also what is the difference between single...

View more questions Search