Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mother Bear Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2009, 10:15 AM
    My Son will be sharing a room with my ex and his new girlfriend?
    My son's father and I have lived separately for about two years, sharing custody pretty evenly. We do not have a court order, just an informal arrangement which has worked fine.

Since moving out, my ex has lived with his brother in a 2-bedroom apt, so when our son is with him, they share a room. My son is five. My ex is starting a relationship with a new woman. It has been a long distance relationship for about five months and they decided pretty quickly that she would move out here (completely across the country) to be with him. (Note, she has been married for 12 years and is left her husband within the first month of connecting with my ex online).

So... she will be here by June 1st and they expect that all three of them, she, my ex and my son will share a room during their time together. OK, so there are so many red flags here, right? But my concern is that this huge transition into my son's life is going to be confusing enough - that I'd like them to let him sleep at my house until they find a larger space where he can have his own room. They say they are on the look out for such a place, but they will NOT agree to my suggestion.

So - what's the right perspective? Am I being a control freak by voicing my concern about the three of them sharing a room? It just feels so wrong to me. He says they will not have sex while my son is there... but I don't believe him. And even if not... is it creepy to have that sleeping arrangement considering that my son does not know this woman at all? When I approach it, my ex just chocks it up to me being jealous, or controlling... jealous no, controlling maybe.

But... really? As a mom... what's the right thing to do?

HELP!
    ANB428 Posts: 450, Reputation: 42

Mar 26, 2009, 10:19 AM

No, you need to go back to court and talk to the judge. You need to tell him the situation. There is no way that a 5 year old child should be sharing a room with an adult of the opposite sex, unless it is the child's parent, even then it is not healthly for a child of that age to share a room with their mother or father. You are not being jealous, or over reacting. I would never allow those kind of living arrangements for my child and I am sure that any parent in your shoes would be acting the same way.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2009, 10:27 AM

As a mother I share your concern.

The idea of sharing Dad is a big one right off the bat,compounded by sharing such an intimate sleeping arrangement is a bit much for a child to grasp.

She sounds flaky anyway to drop a husband and hook up with someone at the drop of a pin.Weird.

Mar 26, 2009, 10:31 AM

OK, thanks for the response. But, we've never gone to court, so I would first have to initiate a legal custody arrangement I guess.. I have always tried so hard to keep it friendly and informal because I know that the way we relate to each other is a big influence on our son. If I start court proceedings, I'm worried that things will get real ugly, quick. But... I am going to set up a consultation I guess...

Mar 26, 2009, 10:41 AM

I would talk to a lawyer first, to voice your concern. I totally understand your reasoning for not wanting to involve the courts. You don't want to deprive the child from his father, but you need to make sure your concerns are addressed. I would not allow that to happen with my child. They are too young to be forced into a situation like that. It will probably confuse your son as well.

I also agree with artlady when she said that this new woman sounds flaky to drop her husband and hook up with someone on a whim. Espically when she met him on the internet.

I would be very concerned if I were in this situation.

Mar 26, 2009, 10:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ANB428 View Post
    I would talk to a lawyer first, to voice your concern. I totally understand your reasoning for not wanting to involve the courts. You don't want to deprive the child from his father, but you need to make sure your concerns are addressed. I would not allow that to happen with my child. They are too young to be forced into a situation like that. It will probably confuse your son as well.

I also agree with artlady when she said that this new woman sounds flaky to drop her husband and hook up with someone on a whim. Espically when she met him on the internet.

I would be very concerned if I were in this situation.
    I know... it's so creepy. She was out here once, so I've met her briefly and she was surprisingly articulate and sensible... but I'm sure she was on her best behavior. It's hard enough for me to be comfortable letting her move in as a parent figure to my son, you know? I think you're right - I'm going to move forward with an attorney. If nothing else, I'll learn about family law and have better ground to stand on in my arguments.

Thanks again for the perspective! I don't know why it's so hard to trust my own intuition with things like this... he and his friends declare that it's my own insecurities and I actually start to believe them.

Mar 26, 2009, 12:33 PM

No, THIS situation has nothing to do with you being insecure. It deals with your parental intution kicking in.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Mar 26, 2009, 10:14 PM
    Trust your instinct MotherBear.

As to the new woman, if she were so sensible and articulate, she'd not be agreeing to the sleeping arrangements.

I think you are perfectly reasonable to expect that they would understand this, and if they don't, you'll need to find out what your legal options are.

I don't think it says too much for your ex either. He should be able to see not only your point of view, but the arrangements as being not in your son's best interests.

I totally agree with you on this one.
    Casey30 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2009, 01:07 AM

No No No don't go to court, as a mother and a step mother when my husband and I got together we had known each other for a long time but I never met his son and when I did finally meet him my husband and I were not married at the time and we were living together and his son slept in the same bed w/ us and it was all OK I think that you should just give everything a chance and see how it all plays out and it sounds a little to me like jealousy?
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2009, 08:18 PM

I disagree completely with Casey30. Your values are not wrong. Your son is too old to be sharing a bed with his parents, much less with parents plus their partner to whom they are incidentally not married. I would object if my ex husband's girlfriend even slept over with my son in a different room - it's the wrong message to my child in my view, and my view counts as relates to my child!

Talk to your lawyer about getting a court order eliminating overnights until your son has his own room at his father's place. If they are looking anyway, it shouldn't be an argument. If they are arguing about it, it's because they don't intend to follow through!
    ibrown Posts: 61, Reputation: 3

Apr 1, 2009, 08:25 PM

I agree with everyone else because a real women would wait for a better chance to move in after the child has his own room.You have the rite to feel how you do and I don't even have kids but it's common since and they are wrong!
    Nikita1x Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2009, 03:21 PM
    Going to court and "taking away" overnights is not your right, even as a mother. You can make all the suggestions and requests but the bottom line is that it is the child's father's choice as the decisions he makes when exercising his time with the child as long as the child is safe etc.

However, that being said, I am a mother and step-mother. I think it is very inappropriate to have all three people sleep in the same room given your son's age. If you can't have an adult conversation with your ex about the emotional safety of your son then you may have no other choice but to go to court to at the very least get something put in place saying that your ex must provide your son with a bed for him to sleep in by himself during overnights. Then if you can get that in place and your ex doesn't make the proper arrangements you can take him back to court for breaching the order.

If he's a good dad and you talk to him and keep it very focused on the child and not him and the new woman, perhaps even suggesting he discuss this with new woman as you are sure she will feel the same way that it isn't appropriate (make it sound like you already like her and think she is very reasonable). I find that works with my ex to help me get my way!
    Lissy123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2009, 08:52 AM
    I am in a similar situation as a 'step'mum. I have been with my partner for 2 years. His children live 5hours away and were only introduced to me after us being together for 18mths. I thought that this made sense so we knew that it was a long term, stable relationship. As he has the children once a month so far away he has a hotel. We were going to all share a family hotel room but the kids mother has stopped visitation rights unless I have my own room. I think it is fine for me to sleep in the same room when we are in this holiday situation but when they stay with us in our home they will have their own rooms. It mirrors normal family life... holidays are fine to share but home equals their own room. Any views?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2009, 06:39 PM

I don't totally agree with Nikita. You don't have a court order so you can tell him that once she moves in your son is not going to visit over night until you DO have a court order saying that your son does have to do the over night visits.
    crazymomof3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2010, 06:25 PM
    OMG I am going through the same thing. My ex husband has a girlfriend long distance. She is up for the holidays and is sleeping at my ex studio apartment. He wanted my 10 year old who just met her for the first time today to sleep over. No doors the bed is in the middle of the room and my son would have slept on the couch. Well I said "HELL NO" I have full custody and think that is just way to weird. My ex is very selfish and has a hard time thinking about anyone else but himself. Go with your gut feeling. He thinks I am a hugh jerk. Awww like I give a rats ***.

monito1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Apr 23, 2011, 05:04 PM
    Why don't you ask a couselor instead of going to a lawyer..! Lawyer is about money and counselor is about morals and values!!
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2011, 01:37 PM

As stated by Judy, it's not true that lawyers are all about money. Lawyers in this situation are about getting a court order so you can prevent improper situations for your minor child without breaking the law in so doing.

You can certainly petition the court to suspend overnights with the dad given that an unmarried individual of the opposite sex has moved in, is in an intimate relationship with the father, and is sharing a room with both the father and minor child.

You likely cannot stop the father from entering a live-in relationship but certainly any judge I know would consider it reasonable that if the father chooses to do so, at the very least he must provide a separate bedroom for the child.

Get a court order and stick to your guns - it's a ridiculous situation and your child should not be in it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Chilren of opposite sex sharing a room [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a law in Washington about children of the opposite sex sharing a room past certain ages?

Girls, 11y and 14y, sharing same room [ 8 Answers ]

Recently my family has had to take in my wife's father. While temporary in nature, this has burdened the family slightly and caused my daughters to have to share a room. My 14yo daughter visits on a standard schedule but lives with her mother, and the 11yo lives here full time. We had a bedroom set...

Room sharing or kids [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know the legal age when children are expected NOT to share a room? Or what the councils law is on room entitlement?

10 & 13 YO sharing room - opposite sex [ 5 Answers ]

My boyfriend has a daughter that is 13 1/2 years old (8th grade) girl and a 10 (almost 11, 5th grade) boy. The daughter is afraid to sleep alone so the son has to sleep in her room EVERY night. He does the same at the Mom's house. There are plenty of bedrooms. She every single night will start...

Room sharing [ 3 Answers ]

What is the law on the age brother and sisters sharing a bedroom

View more questions Search