Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RBurke Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2004, 09:34 AM
    Common Wire on Honeywell T8624D Chronotherm
    I'm replacing two White-Rodgers thermostats, one heating and one cooling with a Honeywell T8624D heating/cooling thermostat. I have three wires coming from the cooling thermostat (W, R & G) and 2 wires for heating coming from the transformer located in the wall at the thermostat which are both blue. My question is which wire do I use to go to the "C" common terminal to power this thermostat or must I go to the TC8602 thermostat.

Thanks,

Bob
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2004, 12:24 PM
    Re: Common Wire on Honeywell T8624D Chronotherm
    Usually there is a 24 volt AC transformer in the furnace with the secondary winding connected to a red wire running to the thermostat and a blue wire to the gas valve, A/C relay, and fan relay. From the thermostat there will be white wire to the gas valve, yellow to the A/C, and green to the fan. The thermostat is wired to switch the power from the red to the white, yellow, and green as needed with the blue completing the circuit. It may be wired to have the control wires return to the furnace and its controls and then a second wire goes to the A/C unit. Internal wiring may replace the green wire if the thermostat does not give you the option of fan only or continuous fan.

Check the wiring at the furnace. Does the red wire come off the transformer? Does the white go to the air conditioner and the green to the fan relay? If so, then you need to determine which blue wire goes from the gas valve to the thermostat. If there are 2 transformers, disconnect the one. Usually the contacts on the thermostat are marked G, Y, W, and R or common. Connect the red to R or common, green to G, the blue to the gas valve to W, and the white to the air to Y. To prevent future confusion, it might be best to run a new standard 4 conductor thermostat wire from the furnace to the thermostat. Then connect everything as I explained in the first paragraph.

However you do it, you must have one contact of the transformer connected to the fan, gas valve, and air conditioner relay. The other to the common on the thermostat. Then the proper contacts of the thermostat must be connected to the other terminal of the gas valve, fan, and air conditioner. I you retain the old wiring, I would make a diagram of the wire colors perhaps putting it on or inside the furnace.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Frigidaire Furnace - Blower Motor Common Wire [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Frigidaire furnace model # FG6RA 096C-12B. I purchased a humidifier to install and do not have the users guide for the furnace. I need to know which wire is the blower motor common wire. Thanks for all your help.

Janitrol 7 wire to Honeywell RTH230B 5 wire [ 3 Answers ]

I currently have a Janitrol digital thermostat. I can't read the model #. It has 8 terminals and 7 wires hooked up. Terminal - Color Y - Yellow Com - Blue R - Red G - Green w2 - Looks white E/w3 - Looks pink O - Orange B - Nothing

Wiring a Honeywell Chronotherm IV [ 3 Answers ]

What size wiring do you use for a thermostat? I need to move one from an exterior wall to an interior one. Also, any tips on fishing wires through insulation? Bringing it up the wall and over suspended ceiling and down another wall.

Honeywell t8624d wiring [ 8 Answers ]

I am trying to replace my old honeywell thermostat with a new Honeywell t8624d Chronotherm IV. My old thermostat is the round turning type. I just want to use my new one for a 1 zone heat in basement. There is a red and white wire coming out of the wall. The red is going to the valve and the white...

70's Day and Night Gas Furnace Common wire? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi- I have a furnace that I need a common wire to hook up A new thermostat that req's a common wire- The Company that originally made the furnace, BDP - merged w/ Carrier I think- I have a Red and Blue coming out of the top of the transformer And black & white @ the bottom - 115v looks...

View more questions Search