Ask
    ismart Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2006, 09:42 AM
    Install WIN XP PRO from HDD
    How to install WIN XP PRO from HDD?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 11, 2006, 09:53 AM
    Not sure if you can. You would have to copy all the files from the CD to a partition on the hard drive other than the partition you would be installing to.
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

May 11, 2006, 12:52 PM
    Yes you can.

You need:

A windows 98 boot disk.
    Hard disk with fat32 partition on it
    All files copied from XP Pro CD to said Hard disk (make a "xpcd" folder)

Run c:\xpcd\i386\winnt.exe (where "xpcd" is the folder you copied the CD to)

You should be fine, It doesn't have to be on a different partition to where you're installing windows.

May 11, 2006, 12:55 PM
    Stu,

Wouldn't that work only for a REINSTALL? If you are doing a fresh install, wouldn't you wipe out the partition?

May 11, 2006, 01:00 PM
    No, you can select an existing partition to install to. Check out the link for some screenshots of the process.

Install Windows XP Pro

Just make sure you don't delete the partition where the installation files are:)

May 11, 2006, 01:04 PM
    Exactly, if you do a fresh install, then the files need to be on a different partition. If you are just doing a reinstall, then it can be on the same partition. But to be safe I'd make sure its on a different partition.
    ismart Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2006, 05:38 PM
    Thanks for help.

May 12, 2006, 04:27 AM
    Good Luck Ismart.

Please let us know how you got on!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hunter fan to install [ 1 Answers ]

Opened perfectly good operting hunter fan to install hampton remote... I am lost. (hamptom remote is to be compatible with hunter fan?? ) From ceiling I hv blk/red/white & grnd Remote has blk to motor... blue (light) to motor and white to motor Only...

Can't install AOL [ 5 Answers ]

I cannot install AOL. I've uninstalled AOL. I've installed with a new 9.0 optimized disk and run through the entire installation process until the very end when a window comes up that asks if I'd like to install the AOL files needed to complete the process. I choose yes and then another window pops...

New shower install [ 3 Answers ]

I want to install a shower in a room next to where there is an existing toilet and sink. My question is on venting the new shower. I have access to the basement area, can I hook up the shower drain to the existing sink drain in the basement area. Will this properly vent the new shower? The...

New Install on Toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I am doing a total remodeling job on a pier and beam house, all new plumbing and electric. We are adding a new bathroom. Sub floor is 3/4" treated plywood and will have linoleum as the finish. How far is the toilet flange placed from the wall? And do I have to install a closet flange? Main...

View more questions Search