Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 9, 2007, 06:57 PM
    Service engine soon
    I have a 1989 Chev pickup. Two wheel drive, 6 cylinder.

We replaced the engine with a used one ( out of good wreck) about 3 years ago.

I have keep it tuned up and it runs great, but anytime I get over 45 or 50 miles per hour for more than a couple minutes, the service engine soon light comes on, and will not go off till I turn the engine off. It does not do this at lower speeds, I can drive it around town 30 and no light.

It does not use any oil, no water lead, it does leak a little brake fluid around the master cylinder ( but not much,) I add a little about once or twice a month.

I have had it to a local garage ( not dealer) several times for tune ups, and general checks, but they can't find anything wrong, other than the light does come on.

Any ideas where to look ?
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2007, 09:05 PM
    A clog in an oil line, it's probably not getting enough oil at the higher speeds cause the oil lines have a bit of buildup but are not totally clogged, that or the alternator is not producing enough power at the higher speeds, but this seems less likely as your battery would have died by now from not getting charged back up while driving, I would start by using an oil line cleaner.
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2007, 09:10 PM
    Forgot to add, same for the fuel line, add fuel line cleaner, if fuel and oil line cleaners don't do anything have them check the power output of the alternator at higher revs, not at idle.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 9, 2007, 09:15 PM
    Ok, I guess we find out what area I have no expert status in at all, cars.

But oil line cleaner ( have not heard of that) is that something you can go into auto zone and find?
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2007, 09:23 PM
    I don't actually know, my background is aircraft maintenance and I know we had oil additives that would clean the lines and did this periodically as preventative maintenance.

I'm sure any car care place could recommend one for cars, I took a quick look online and found this:

OIL SYSTEM CLEANER

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

99 Taurus Service Engine Soon light [ 1 Answers ]

My car sputtered and shook a little when I turned the engine on. It went away after I drove a short way, then the Service Engine Soon light came on and stayed on. Any ideas on this?

Service Engine Soon light [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2003 Altima, "service soon light is on, Dealer wants 78.00 dollars to Dign. And what ever cost to fix, Do you know where is coming from??

Service Engine Soon on Nissan Altima [ 2 Answers ]

Hello- I have a 2001 Nissan Altima GXE and I noticed this past Sunday when I put gas in it, the "Service Engine Soon" light came on. I took it to my mechanic today and the initial test from their electronic machine says it has something to do with the transmission. They can't pin point the...

Service engine soon light [ 1 Answers ]

I recently replaced my fuel pump on my 98 GMC Z-71 w/5.4 liter engine. After reconnecting everything; I found the "service engine soon" light on. I never had any trouble with the light until I changed out the fuel pump. Any ideas why?

View more questions Search