Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dubbledee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2007, 12:58 PM
    Salaried Manager using time clock
    I am being told that it is California state law for a salaried manager to clock in and out from work. My previous employer did not make me do this and it was at a much larger corporation. Now this smaller one that I work for, says that it is the law. I don't believe it is. Do I have to clock in and out as a salaried manager?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 8, 2007, 01:02 PM
    Not by law, but by company policy. There is no law that prohibits a company from requiring salaried employees to record time for attendance and production purposes. The company is just passing the buck by saying it's the law, but they don't need to. They have the right to require it as long as its applied equally.
    Dubbledee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2007, 01:14 PM
    Thank you that is very helpful! But they are saying it is for Workers Comp purposes. That if I was to get hurt, and was not clocked in, than I would not be covered under workers comp. Does that make sense?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 8, 2007, 01:25 PM
    Sure. Like I said, a company can require you clock in for a variety of purposes. One of them is to show you were actually on duty during that period. Its possible that CA Worker Comp law requires that.
    CindyLynn Posts: 31, Reputation: 4

Nov 12, 2007, 01:00 AM
    They can require you to clock in and out as long they are not basing your pay on those hours! In other words, they cannot require you to work an even 8 hours a day to get paid 8 hours per day. You could work 6 hours and be paid for 8 or work 10 hours and get paid for 8. Get my drift. They can get in lots of trouble if they are basing your pay on hours worked if your are salary. They should be only having your clock in once per day really or they should not be calculating hours at all based on your clockings!

I am salary and my employer just requires us to clock in once a day anytime. No out, just in.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Setting the time on a pioneer car stereo clock [ 4 Answers ]

Hi group, I bought a car that has a " pioneer supertuner III ' stereo system ( the kind with removable face plate) The stereo works great but I just can't figure out how to set the clock... help! Thanks, Ann

Salaried employee [ 1 Answers ]

I accepted a salaried position with a six day work week. Although I am employed by the same owner as other managers, I am the only Manager working at a retail store. The other Managers work in the Corporate Office, unrelated to my position. All Managers are required to work 6 days but...

Clock losing time on task bar [ 1 Answers ]

The clock on my task bar is losing time, I have to constantly readjust every week. Any suggestions on what I should be looking at, to keep clock working properly. I have an older AOpen computer running Windows 98. Is there a battery or something I can change? Thanks

I am salaried [ 2 Answers ]

I am a salaried employee, which has worked for a compamy for 6 months. I work 45 hours a week and I do not get overtime or holiday pay. Is that legal?

View more questions Search