Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chirleyrene Posts: 48, Reputation: 2

Nov 10, 2006, 07:03 AM
    Small claims court
    Me (Shirley) and my aunt (Margaret) had a cell phone account together but had separate phones, and also she was the primary account holder, I CXL my phone service early, so I had to pay the early cancelation fee, which I paid, now the phone service is calling my aunt saying that bill was not paid, this situation came up before and I proved it to them that I paid that bill, now their trying to garnish her check for the 200.00 early cancelation fee, she wants to take them to court, when she goes to court can the small claims court make me pay the bill again?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 10, 2006, 07:06 AM
    If you can prove you paid the bill, then the court is unlikely to charge you. Just make sure you have your documentation straight.

Nov 10, 2006, 10:03 AM
    Now see I keep all my checks, its just that I moved and everything is scattered in boxes, but I 'm hoping I can find that check. And why don't they have record of me paying that bill? So I'll still get charged even though the account was in my aunt's name? That's not fair, because I know I paid that bill, am I expected to keep receipts up to 4 or 5yrs? After so long I throw threm away, but now that's all going to change I'm going to get a storage bin to keep all my receipts

Nov 10, 2006, 10:52 AM
    Your bank should be able to get you a copy of the chancelled check, but that only proves that you paid them, it may not show what it was for.

Sure they should keep proper records, but if they don't, the burden of proof may go back to you.
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Nov 12, 2006, 09:30 PM
    Paper work it is the evil that befalls us. Call the bank and order copies they will probably charge you.

Nov 13, 2006, 08:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    If you can prove you paid the bill, then the court is unlikely to charge you. Just make sure you have your documentation straight.

Do you think that I can call a trace a check like three yrs. Back that's how long it's been.

Nov 13, 2006, 08:29 AM
    You should be able to. Might take a while though.

Nov 13, 2006, 10:33 AM
    I just called my bank and yes they said they can find the check but they need the amount of the check and what time , but if they don't have the info they need to track this check they'll have to charge me $20 per hr. to find this check, and that could take a long time, so I said forget it and let my auntie do what ever she have to do. But not paying for it until the courts make me

Nov 13, 2006, 10:38 AM
    QUOTE=ScottGem]Your bank should be able to get you a copy of the chancelled check, but that only proves that you paid them, it may not show what it was for.

Sure they should keep proper records, but if they don't, the burden of proof may go back to you.[/QUOTE]

I just contacted my bank and yes they can track the check down for 20.00 per hr, if I can't give them the info they need to find it with ease, other than that they'll have to search their Icons and that could take for ever.

Nov 13, 2006, 10:49 AM
    20/hr?? Well I guess if you can't give them date and payee info.

Nov 13, 2006, 10:55 AM
    20/hr??? Well I guess if you can't give them date and payee info.
    I can give them the Co. name but the date and time I can't remember? And they said they don't go buy the Co. name and that's retarded!

Nov 13, 2006, 11:30 AM
    Actually its not. Checks are generally filed by check number, date and amount, not payee.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I use this to take someone to small claims? [ 5 Answers ]

I am going to make it short and sweet. We went to settlement on the our purchase of a home and, because I thought I knew the person we bought our home from I did not take a written agreement. BIG NO NO on my behalf realizing that now... The agreement was for the seller to come back and repair...

Small claims [ 7 Answers ]

My car was hit back in April. Since no one was hurt, and I was in such a hurry to get where I was going, I did not call the police. I quickly jotted down the man's information myself. However, I cannot get money out of the guy. He said he would pay and now isn't. The damage is approx $400.00. ...

Small Claims Court [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Every One, My question tonight is about suing in small claims court.. Really its more about what am I allowed to sue for.. I entered in to a verbal agreement with a old friend of mine to help him out.. Honestly to help him stay out of jail. He was on house arrest and needed a phone so I...

Small claims lawsuit question? [ 0 Answers ]

I am in the process of filing a small claims lawsuit for $3000. I bought a $7000 car as a gift for an ex boyfriend. We broke up two months after the gift was given, and I feel I should be paid back either half the amount I spent or be given back the car. I have all the receipts showing I paid in...

View more questions Search