Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davisfamily Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2006, 11:11 PM
    Son didn't graduate high school what to do?
    :( Hello my son dropped out of school at the end of his senior year. He thought he was doing the right thing We live in Ky. He got a job in Fl. Making 25 an hour. This is good for a 18 year old boy so he thought. The company got in trouble now he has no job or diploma. He now has no job. This breaks my heart! I want him to finish hie education. I am not sure how many credits he needs. My question is can he finish his credits? Or get his GED? I know it looks better if he has a diploma.( for jobs) there are many sites on schools that will let him finish his diploma. This is what he wants. A few people say to steer clear of this. Any suggestions on diploma or GED?
    Thank You
    (worried momma)
    Lisa
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2006, 11:22 PM
    How old is he now?

I know where I live, if you drop out, you can go back to your old high school to finish you diploma until you are 21.

Then you have to go to a special continuing education class...

Check with his former high school and see what his options are.

Or he can check in Florida at a local high school there.

Jun 24, 2006, 11:30 PM
    My son would have graduated this year in May. His school doesn't have a plan where he can return and finish his credits. Thanks for your quick reply! Any other suggestions?
    Lisa
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jun 25, 2006, 06:50 AM
    I would look over this site...
    http://www.aceofflorida.org/ged/

A GED is recognized by others as the equivalency of a high school diploma for hiring or further education purposes. That he comes now with some "life" experience can be valuable too, depending on how he frames it.

Focus on turning this into an asset and opportunity and you'll both be better off.

I hope that helps and thanks for posting.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2006, 07:46 AM
    HI,
    I, too, thank you for asking a question here, and Welcome to the site.
    I lived in FL, was born and raised in the Panhandle area, now live in VA, at 64 yrs old.
    It's Great that he wants his GED. Most companies, except for contractors, willl not even give an interview without a high school diploma, or GED, in my local area, extending of which I am aware for about 150 miles radius!
    Do you have an Adult Education center anywhere near you? Or, even contacting Social Services (if you have one) in your local area can put you on to a GED class nearby.
    Our local area, through the VA Employment Commission, has ties with Adult Education, offering the GED.
    Best wishes to you, and I do hope he will check it out, in your local area.
    PS; Forgot to ask; where does your son live? If he is with you in KY, check out your local employment office or commission. They will have info on the GED and how to obtain one.

Jun 25, 2006, 08:30 AM
    Hello
    My son is home with his family. This is a good thing. I would really be worried. And yes we do have an adult education program where we live.I will check in on it Monday. I never imagined it being so hard raising teenage boys!! I have 5 children. 2 teenage boys. My worries really began when they became teenagers. The little ones are a breeze.The only problems I have is who get's to sit in the front seat of the car and who get to go to friend first. Thank you so much for the info.
    God Bless You
    Lisa
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 25, 2006, 11:52 AM
    The more education you have the better your job opportunities will be!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 25, 2006, 01:07 PM
    Actually your school would have to let him come back next year and complete his education, if they refused, you could sue them, merely go out and enroll him if he is willing to go back next year.

If not there is nothing wrong with a GED ( except it is hard)
    I will be honest, people who get a GED in many ways have proven they are smarter than people just graduating, since too many high schools have lower standards. ( Sorry grads, but I have seen too many that can't do basic math, can't balance a check book, can't fill out a job application properly.

And while 25 a hour is OK pay it is not the rich money ( esp in some parts of FL) In Chicago or New York you couldnot live very well on that amount

The corrrections dept from Chiacago used to do that, they would go to southern Ill where pay was 6 bucks a hour maybe, and offer what sounded like high pay, but after they moved up there, the cost of living got them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Scared for high school [ 16 Answers ]

I'm going to be a freshman next year and me and my friends are scared ****less does anyone have any advice on high school like what to do and what not to do for us. And are the freshman anything like do all the upper classmen just ignore us or do they hate us or something Please help me out ...

I still love my high school sweetheart [ 10 Answers ]

The man I love is married and he says he is going to leave his wife for me. He says he still loves me and wants me back as his wife. I don't know what to think I love him still as well. Alls we do is talk about how much we love one another and how much we miss one another. I have a feeling that it...

High School Sweetheart 17yrs. Later [ 15 Answers ]

I'm trying to figure out what's going on here. Here's my situation: A year and a half ago my high school sweetheart emailed me out of the blue. I'm trying to figure out where things are going, good or bad, I'm often confused by the situation. Here's background: We dated for 2-3 years in...

Do I need a high school diploma to... [ 1 Answers ]

I didn't know, witch thread to put this under but do I need a high school diploma to go to a trade school or college class. And how much would it cost to get my diploma online?

High school interns [ 1 Answers ]

I am implementing an internship program for high school students in central Florida.  the focus of the program is to expose/preview career options upon graduating from high school through continuing education.  hopefully the intern will have a better perspective of what they want before they get to...

View more questions Search