https://www.npr.org/2020/09/18/10030...ity-dies-at-87
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2020, 05:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    News in that she passed away today.
    https://www.npr.org/2020/09/18/10030...ity-dies-at-87
    A legal giant.

"My most fervent wish is that I will not be replaced until a new president is installed."
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2020, 06:04 PM
    I don't want to get into all the implications . Suffice it to say ;with the chaos I believe is coming due to the election ; The worst possible scenario is a 4-4 court having to intervene .
    I hardly ever agreed with her . But she came from a different time when there was still civility . She had a deep friendship with Justice Scalia . I would've loved to sit in on some of their lunch meetings .
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 18, 2020, 06:06 PM
    R.i.p. R.b.g.!
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2020, 08:11 PM
    Now Trump's reelection becomes vital for conservatives, this is the opportunity to truly win the victories they can savour
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2020, 08:19 PM
    The worst possible scenario is a 4-4 court having to intervene
    Complete and utter nonsense. RBG is hardly cold and that is already the talking point of the Republicans. Many cases have been argued before a 4-4 court without any problem.

Major hypocrite McConnell has already declared - within one hour of RBG's death - that the Senate will vote on Trump's nominee. This is after he refused to even talk to Obama's nominee because it was TOO LONG BEFORE THE ELECTION. That was 10 months, now is 46 DAYS!!!
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2020, 08:20 PM
    Strange times, don't do as I do, do as I say
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2020, 03:30 AM
    Nonsense you say . Do you see any scenario where either side will accept a SCOTUS case that decides the Presidency ? I don't . Now take it further and let me know how a disputed election will be decided with a 4-4 tie .

Normally I would say that the courts have no business deciding elections . But that ship already sailed .

As for the appropriateness of selecting a replacement justice ;why not invoke the Biden rule ? Oh wait ..... in 2016 Quid argued furiously against the Biden rule .

I have a compromise candidate for you .... Miguel Estrada . Let the Dems try the Kavanaugh smears on him ! You remember him . He was a Circuit court nominee the Dems filibustered because internal memos said he was "especially dangerous " because he was Hispanic ,and Bush was grooming him to be a SCOTUS justice .The Dems did not want a Republican President to put the first Hispanic on SCOTUS.
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB106877910996248300

The Dems did not stop with Estrada . They filibustered a total of 9 Bush nominees to the circuit courts . It was the first full scale effort in American history to prevent a president from picking the federal judges he wants.

Then the Dems first used the nuclear option when they gained the Senate majority and the emperor's Presidency to pack the court system with lefties ;doing away with the long standing procedure of judges needing a super majority for confirmation .Gone was the filibuster they had used during Bush's term. I'd say the chickens are coming home to roost.

Trump is going to do exactly what the emperor did. He will nominate a qualified candidate to fill the SCOTUS vacancy, and Senate Republicans will confirm his nominee. There is nothing the left can do about it. If Dems are upset, too bad. They should have confirmed Miguel Estrada.
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2020, 05:19 AM
    RBG is hardly cold and that is already the talking point of the Republicans.
    "My most fervent wish is that I will not be replaced until a new president is installed."

RBG is hardly cold and that is already the talking point of the Democrats .You weren't the first to post that quote . I saw it minutes after the news of her passing .
    Expert

Sep 19, 2020, 06:35 AM
    All of that is irrelevant in the face of Moscow Mitch breaking his own rules about letting the people decide the next SCOTUS. Should the dufus lose or Mitch loses the senate, count on a lame duck vote for SCOTUS.
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2020, 11:49 AM
    the Dems cast the die with the breaking of the filibuster rule and using the nuclear option to confirm judges .
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2020, 01:44 PM
    Susan Collins is going to throw a monkey wrench in the idea of a quick confirmation . So will Mittens .
    Expert

Sep 19, 2020, 04:08 PM
    the Dems cast the die with the breaking of the filibuster rule and using the nuclear option to confirm judges .
    Stupid dems they should have just gone along with repubs and Mitch after that shellacking. Of course the sarcasm and derision is thick and dripping.

To little to late with Collins, and maybe a few more conservative senators. Lame duck revenge?
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2020, 02:36 AM
    whatever ... as the emperor said ; Elections have consequences . When the Senate wouldn't consider Garland , the Repubs had the majority . That is why they could get away without considering his nomination . Now in this case there is a Repub President and a Repub Senate (sorta + or - some RINOs ) . So when the President nominates Amy Coney Barrett the Senate will confirm her .

If Quid is elected and the Dems take the Senate ,I'm sure the Dems will have a whole bunch of plans (like court packing ) that the Repubs will not be able to stop .
    Expert

Sep 21, 2020, 06:15 AM
    LOL, no doubt the dufus rather have SCOTUS and the conservative social issues as a campaign talking point rather than the economy and sickness and death. It restocks his red meat rhetoric for his hungry followers who could care less about repub hypocrisy and abrogation of the constitution.

The right wing is drunk with power and the dufus is the bartender, and Mitch will certainly get what he wants, but he better be careful in the way he goes about it.
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2020, 06:42 AM
    yeah that's it . And the Dems are not sending out email and text alerts about the coming apocalypse over the conservatives on the court and a future Trump nominee reversing Roe ? I know they are . I am on their mailing lists . It always follows with a donation request .
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...th/5839031002/
    Expert

Sep 21, 2020, 06:49 AM
    Geez Tom, repubs do it too, and it's not just publicly solicited cyber donations, it's the "dark money" too on BOTH sides. It's a good paying industry. I'm on the list too...isn't everybody on one list or another?

Repub have lists too!
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2020, 07:21 AM
    for a donation of $1 I have access to all their propaganda
    Expert

Sep 21, 2020, 07:33 AM
    I get the propaganda FREE! 8D
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2020, 02:21 PM
    LOL, no doubt the dufus rather have SCOTUS and the conservative social issues as a campaign talking point
    Amy Coney Barrett is perfect for Dem talking points . They said in her Circuit Court hearings that she was too Catholic ("the dogma lives loudly within you, and that is a concern" said FrankenFeinstein .... Guess she forgot about the Article VI no religious test clause ). They can't use the race card .Along with her 5 biological children ,she has two adopted children from Haiti . If Yertle really wants to set their hair on fire he should say we can take this nomination to the Senate floor for an immediate vote and bypass the Senate judiciary hearings

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ruth h lee watercolor [ 2 Answers ]

I have a watercolor that came through the family that is of a fishing village with a sign that says Ask for Maria. It was done by Ruth H Lee. I was just wondering what the approximate value would be. Thanks!

Babe Ruth Collectibles [ 2 Answers ]

What is the value of a set of books from Quaker Oats,How to throw curves;How to play infield;How to play outfield;How to knock home runs.tips by Babe Ruth?

Babe ruth [ 2 Answers ]

How much is my golden babe ruth card

Babe ruth [ 3 Answers ]

I have a topps 2001-2002 babe ruth card #tn30 I'm just curious if it is worth anything

View more questions Search