Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CAROLJESTERKIL Posts: 16, Reputation: 3

Nov 7, 2009, 09:46 PM
    Journaling interest payment for June 30th 2011
    On July 1, 2010, a company issued 32,000,000 of 10 year 12% bond at an effective interest rate of 13%, receiving cash of 30,237,139. Interest on the bond is payable semiannually on Dec 31 and June 30th. The fiscal year is the calendar year.

What I need to do is 1. Journalize for entry to record the amount of cash proceeds from the sale of the bonds.

1. solution: cash debit-$30,237,139 discount on bonds payable 1,762,861 debit, 32,000,000 credit.

Next I needed to journal the first semiannual interest payment on Dec 31, 2010 and the amortization of the bond discount, using the straight-line method I got Interest expense $2,008,143 debit, $88,143 for discount bonds payable credit and $1,920,000 cash credit

Now I need to journal the interest payment for June 30, 2011 and the amortization on the bond discount using the straight-line method Do I journal the information that I came up with on Dec 31, 2010 or do I use 19 periods instead of 20 year period (10*2)
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2009, 12:40 AM

Everything you've done is fine and since it's straight-line, that entry for the interest/amortization will remain exactly the same throughout the life of the bonds. You CAN divide the discount that's left by 19, but there's no point. Since you've taken 1/20th off, then 1/19th of the leftovers is the same number -- it's the same for all 20 periods.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Mortgage interest payment monthly [ 6 Answers ]

I would like to find out how much the interest charge would be on a mortgage of 350,00.00 by the month on 30 year fixed.

Interest owed due to negligent payment processing. [ 7 Answers ]

My girlfriend owed a large amount on her credit card. Due to the sudden deaths of several close relatives, she lost interest in making payments. I got involved and she was given a payoff amount. She then authorized the bank to take payment from her bank account. The payment was never taken, and...

Payment of interest on money held in escrow by landlord [ 2 Answers ]

I've heard that, as a landlord, I'm required to pay interest on security deposit money I've held in an escrow account for a tenant, and that I may retain a portion of the interest as an administrative fee. Is this all correct? If so, can I place all of my tenants' security deposits in one...

Mortgage Interest Deduction on Payment to Foreign Lender [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Experts, I have a query, I have gone through previous posts but somehow felt I have not got all the answers I wanted. Need your help here: 1) I have a mortgage in India from an Indian Bank who doesn't have a branch in the US 2) I work in the US and remit the monthly payments...

View more questions Search