Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ttaiko Posts: 0, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2011, 07:18 PM
    Bad smell in hot water heater room and loundry room
    I noticed bad snell almost like urine smell in our hot water heater room and loundry room which is right next to each other. (we live in condo). I have no idea where the smell is coming from from either room. But only thing I can think of that they share is water pipe?? Do you have any idea what I can do about this?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 9, 2011, 07:21 AM

Hi Ttaiko...

Look around these rooms for a FLOOR DRAIN... ;) The floor drain(s) could be right in front of you or even hidden or covered by something so you may need to really look for them.

When (if) you find the floor drain(s) you will want to pour a 1/2 gallon of water into them and then keep doing that monthly to keep the floor drain PTRAP(s) from drying out and letting sewer gasses/odors into your home.

If no floor drains present then look for a sink or shower drain that hasn't been used in awhile. Here, again, if a fixture hasn't been used for weeks/months then the PTRAP(s) can dry out and sewer gasses flow freely into the home. Run water into the sink/tub/shower, etc. and keep the traps wetted on a regular basis as mentioned above.

Questions? Let me know, OK?

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaking bathroom drain pipe-no water seen, but smell in next room when forced air on [ 1 Answers ]

We have a bathroom across the hall from my infant son's room. When sitting in there by the register, I noticed a faint sewage smell when the forced air turned on. Then, when my 2 year old had an accident in the tub and it was cleaned out with bleach, I could smell the bleach when the forced air...

Vent pipe leak and bad smell in room [ 1 Answers ]

Hi , I noticed a bad smell in the back entry room, which is below the garage attic which has the vent pipe in the roof. The smell was in the air, not near any wall or floor or door. I suspected a leak in the vent pipe, and the plumber found a water mark in the ceiling of the back closet. He...

No hot water at one tub/shower in sons room [ 5 Answers ]

2 days ago, the hot water just stopped in my sons bathtub/shower. Sink is fine and every other hot water outlet in the house is fine. (3 other bathrooms, 1 kitchen sink & laundry room). Setup - home is just 12 years old, but we just replaced our aging HWH that had calcium buildup and we had to...

No hot water in one part of room [ 1 Answers ]

One of my bathrooms has hot water coming from the sink but not the shower. Totally confused on this one. Bobbi

Problem With Toilet And Bad Smell In Living Room [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am hoping for some general advice before I start shelling out. We got our bathroom upgraded recently - (new shower toilet and bath) and all was fine for a few weeks - so I don't know if subsequent problems were caused by this or it's just coincidence. We live in one of the ground...

View more questions Search