Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    laura06 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2009, 04:37 AM
    Toilet fills up with water when I flush it but the water doesn't drain away again
    Please please please help me...

When I flush the toilet it fills up with water but then the water doesn't drain away again... wht do I do to fix it?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 13, 2009, 05:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by laura06 View Post
    Please please please help me...

When I flush the toilet it fills up with water but then the water doesn't drain away again...wht do i do to fix it?!
    I have one that most repair plumbers miss.. Look down at the bottom of the bowl. If there is a small hole, then that is a jet that starts the syphon action. If it's clogged the water will just swirl around and slowly go down leaving solids behind. Take your finger,(UGH! ) and run it around the inside of the opening. Over the years minerals build up and cut down on the syphon (flush) action. If it is rough or you feel build up, take a table knife and put a bend in it to get around the curve in the bowl and chip and scrap it clear. Next take a coathanger and clear out the holes around the rim. They start the swirling action. And last, check the water level in the tank. It should be 1/2" below the top of the over flow tube. And speaking of the overflow tube, Make sure the small 1/8" tube from the ballcock to the white overflow tube is connected so it discharges in it and that it's flowing when the ballcock fills. This is what raises the water level in the bowl. For a good solid flush they all have to work together. Hope this helps and thank you for rating my reply.. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet fills when it should flush [ 7 Answers ]

My upstairs toilet seems to fill when it should be flushing. I press the handle and it fills close to the top, then slowling empties as the tank fills. There seems to be no powerful swirling that most toilets do. This is a two year old home. Please help. Jake. :confused:

Toilet fills, but the water does not go down. [ 10 Answers ]

I have two toilets in the house. I am on a septic tank. The upstairs toilet works fine. The one downstairs will fill, but the water loses the spin and will not flush down the drain. All other pipes seem fine. Help, getting annoyed. Been at this two days.

Toilet tank fills when water valve is off [ 6 Answers ]

My toilet tank fills (not immediately after fludhing, but within an hour) even though the water valve is turned off. What could the issue be and can I easily fix this myself?

Toilet overfills+ tub fills with water= total disaster [ 7 Answers ]

:( :( :( My bathroom is a mess! For the past month our toilet has been making gargling sounds and lots of bubbles. We paid no attention to it, so now it overfilled. We also noticed that when we wash at home, all the dirty water fills our bath tub and our toilet simultaneously makes these...

View more questions Search