Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chazsgang Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2005, 06:25 AM
    Setting up faxing facilities
    Hi Folks,

Could really do with some help here.

I have a PC with built in dial up modem, which is not used or connected as far as I'm aware. I have an external broadband router which supplies my 2gb broadband connection.

I want to set my computer up to send and receive faxes. To my knowledge I cannot send faxes through broadband so need to set up my internal modem.

I would be really grateful if someone could help and advice me how to set up my PC for faxing.

Thanks

Charllie
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 2, 2005, 10:20 AM
    You need to install fax software. This should have come with the PC (or with the modem). If, not you will need to purchase some software (Winfax is the best).

When you install fax software it installs a Fax "printer". To send a fax is the same as printing. You select File>Print then choose the fax printer as your printer and press OK. The fax software will then load and prompt you for phone number and other info and then send the fax. To receive faxes is a different issue and depends on the software used. Generally, you either set the software to monitor your fax line or turn it on manually when you receive a fax transmission. The fax will then be stored in an IN box from which you can view and/or print it.

May 3, 2005, 11:34 AM
    Hi ScottGem,

Thanks for your help it was very useful.

Im using windows xp so I actually had the software on my PC. However I still have a problem. I went through the windows xp fax set up wizard and all indications showed that it was set up OK. I tried to send myself a fax to test it but it keeps saying that there is no dialing tone. I even tried to send it when I had the phone on to hear if it was attempting to connect, but nothing happened.

Any ideas.

Thanks

Charllie

May 4, 2005, 05:27 AM
    You may need to check the Com port setup. What port is your modem on? Are you sure the phone line is plugged in correctly?

May 4, 2005, 12:19 PM
    Hi ScottGem,

Thanks for reply.

The modem is on com port 3 when I checked. I tried looking at the settings in fax console but not sure what I'm looking for. I went through the fax wizard again and attempted to send a fax but it came back with:

"No Dial Tone, The phone line is in use or not connected"

The phone line is connected and working perfectly. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Charllie

May 5, 2005, 05:31 AM
    I don't use MS Fax, but it certainly sounds like its not detecting the modem properly. I think you need to find where the COM port setting is and make sure its set to Com 3.
    SESaskDFC Posts: 214, Reputation: 17

May 5, 2005, 06:19 AM
    Howdy:

Are you using a DSL filter on the modem line?

Murray
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

May 5, 2005, 06:38 AM
    Try the following:
    Go to Start->Settings->Control Panel->Phone and Modem Options
    Then go to Modems and choose your modem (Fax Modem) and click Properties. More likely than not, there will be a checkbox labeled "Wait for dial tone before dialing". Uncheck that and try again.

May 5, 2005, 11:15 AM
    Hi Folks,

Thanks for your replies.

Yes I am using a DSL filter on my broadband modem, does that make a difference?

I will give the other suggestions a try and get back to you.

Thanks

Charllie
    SESaskDFC Posts: 214, Reputation: 17

May 5, 2005, 01:18 PM
    The filter doesn't go on the modem, it goes on the phone lines themselves!

Murray

May 7, 2005, 11:29 PM
    Hi Folks,

Thanks for your replies and help. Not quite sure what the problem was but its working OK now.

Thanks

Charllie
    klc Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2006, 12:53 PM
    Problem with faxing facilities
    I had the same problem and followed the advise given Chaz (unchecked the 'wait for dial tone' box). I no longer get the 'no dial tone' message but, instead am told there is no answer. I'm trying to send a fax to a business and I know the fax machine there is on. What else can I do?

Jan 10, 2006, 06:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by klc
    I had the same problem and followed the advise given Chaz (unchecked the 'wait for dial tone' box). I no longer get the 'no dial tone' message but, instead am told there is no answer. I'm trying to send a fax to a business and I know the fax machine there is on. What else can I do?
    If you aren't getting a dialtone, then there is a problem with the connection to the phone line.

Jan 10, 2006, 07:36 AM
    Thanks - so how do I get a dialtone?

Jan 11, 2006, 06:43 AM
    Thanks - so how do I get a dialtone?
    Make sure your fax modem is plugged into your wall jack and make sure your fax software is set to the correct modem and com port.

Jan 11, 2006, 06:53 AM
    How do I make sure the fax sosftware is set to the correct modem and com port?

Jan 12, 2006, 06:17 AM
    how do I make sure the fax sosftware is set to the correct modem and com port?
    That depends on your fax software. You need to check the setup for the software.

Jan 12, 2006, 06:51 AM
    OK - how do I do that?

Jan 12, 2006, 09:39 AM
    OK - how do I do that?
    How do I know? I don't know what softwarre you are using? Have you tried looking it up in Help or just looking at the menu options?
    Ernest carr Posts: 48, Reputation: 2

Jan 28, 2006, 04:12 PM
    Just set my fax up ran phone line trough DSL filter to PC modem, from PC modem to phone using Win XP worked fine but had to use MS Word to send Fax as the fax center from Xp I could not send more then cover letter, If I have trouble with the moden I remove It from PC rebooth a few times then reinstall and let install wizard set up modem it works for me

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Setting up Tomcat 5.0 [ 5 Answers ]

I am having real trouble setting up Tomcat 5.0 on Windows XP. I have downloaded the Windows setup and followed the instructions to the letter. When I try and start the server with c:\Tomcat 5.0\bin\startup I get the following message: Windows cannot find '-Djava.endorsed.dirs='. Make sure...

The Setting Superstar [ 3 Answers ]

I have this song by Jeff Buckley, but the album I have for it is Sensorium 8-31-00, after his death. I don't think it's even one of his songs. Here are the lyrics (somewhat): And the sun went to the highest bidder... (can't make out this part) Have you seen my wife, she's taken strangely...

Faxing over Broadband [ 3 Answers ]

G'Day there, Just wondering if anyone knows if I can setup faxing over my broadband. I am starting to think that I have to use a modem for faxing rather than just the broadband itself, but would love to know if this is the case. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers, Flano..

Setting up equation? [ 2 Answers ]

I can not get how to form a formula or equation for this question. I don't want the answer I just need help getting it started. Thanks Jim can mow Mr.Smith's lawn in 6 hours, Bob can mow Mr.Smith's lawn in 4 hours. How long would it take them to mow the yard if they worked together?

E-bay setting?? [ 1 Answers ]

?I have a question for anybody that can help. I have been an e-bayer for some time now and have not had any problems with setting on the site. Now all of a sudden am having problems when I click on a customers e-mail address, or on the feedback section. Here are my problems... I have cable line...

View more questions Search