Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lukeskyplayer Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2009, 05:04 PM
    My laptop won't load CD's
    I have a TOSHIBA Satellite L300 series and I don't know why it won't load CD's. I put the cd in and nothing happens. I can't find the cd drive any where and nothing about the CD.
    I have a CD that came with the laptop which is Recovery and Applications/Drivers: but I don't know if that ill help.
    darkvision Posts: 232, Reputation: 15

Mar 4, 2009, 05:16 PM

Okay this can be a wide range of things, for me to suggest anything at this point would be pointless until you do these things/i know these things:

Does the drive show at all under my computer?(more than likely labeled as D:\)
    if it does show under my computer when you put a CD or DVD into it does it keep saying no disk or does it say whatever the disk is(audio cd, etc).
    is it a DVD/CD player, if so try both a DVD and a CD in it also trying a normal audio CD aside from a software CD is a good thing to do as well.

If you are showing something in the player, right click it and select "open". Is it showing files or a blank folder?

also with a DVD movie in the drive(if it is a DVD player) can you play it, if so is it glitchy(random colors on screen) or does it play fine.

Also are you receiving any error messages? If so what do they say.

please try those things, and post back all that happened/didnt happen so that I can further assist you in the trouble shooting process.

Mar 4, 2009, 05:29 PM

It does not show D drive it only says C: and has a list of folders such as downloads and program files on the left side. This laptop has windows vista on it if that makes a difference.

Mar 4, 2009, 06:05 PM

OK I need you to do several things. Firstly go to your device manager(easiest way in vista should just be to type it into the text box under the start menu and hit enter) their should be something that says DVD/CD-ROM drives, click on the plus next to it. Does it have anything under it? If no then its either not installed at all or we need to reseat the drive.

Look on the bottom of your laptop, their should be several tabs that you can move, find the ones near where your cd drive is(one may show a lock if so make sure the lock is open) once that is done press the one that corresponds to the cd rom drive and pull it out, check for damaged pins in the bay or on the drive, then get the drive about half way into the slot again and push firmly(dont slam it, but don't treat it like a feather). Now reboot and check again to see if it is showing. If it isn't then go to the manufactures website and get the latest drivers for it and install them. If still having issues please post after doing those things. And we will continue trouble shooting.

Mar 4, 2009, 06:06 PM
    Double posted

Mar 4, 2009, 06:16 PM

Model Content Page
    This is a help website that I was directed to but I don't know which driver I need

Mar 4, 2009, 06:30 PM

When I clicked on device manager I clicked on cd dvd rom link and then hit the little plus symbol to drop down other things. A thing had a yellow ! Symbol and I double clicked on that and it said this.

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available.

Mar 4, 2009, 06:59 PM

OK I'm assuming that your computer is L300-ST3502 to check this please look on the bottom of the laptop for its exact model number, if different than that post it here so I can get you a link to the exactly correct driver, assuming that is it though here is the link:
    Model Content Page

Again if not the right model let me know and I will find you the right driver. If this is it download and install it, if still experiencing issues then we do some more stuff

Mar 4, 2009, 07:33 PM

Satellite L305D-S5895

Mar 4, 2009, 07:49 PM

Was doing some searching and ran across this as a common problem, the link to the tool for this is:
    http://www.csd.toshiba.com/content/s...1/RmvFltrs.exe

Run it as admin and follow the steps, this should fix your issue.

Mar 4, 2009, 08:13 PM

I'm about to restart my computer ill write back when it reboots

Mar 4, 2009, 08:22 PM

I clicked run and run and then unzip and it said hit any key to fix the problem and a window came up saying ERROR Installion failed but in the black box with all the words it said it was successful. I restarted my computer ejected the cd and then put it back in but no luck.

Mar 4, 2009, 08:57 PM

When I insert the cd I can hear it spinning and sounds like its about to work and the fan even kicks on but then everything just stops. I don't know what to do. This sucks

Mar 5, 2009, 04:45 PM

Ok as the program that does it doesn't seem to be working do this:

DO NOT DELETE ANY THING ELSE, OTHER THAN WHAT IS LISTED!!!

Click on Start --> Run, enter regedit, and click on the OK button.
    Click on the plus sign next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
    Click on the plus sign next to SYSTEM.
    Click on the plus sign next to CurrentControlSet.
    Click on the plus sign next to Control.
    Click on the plus sign next to Class.
    Click on the plus sign next to 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318.
    Right click on LowerFilters (if it exists) in the Name column and select Delete from the pull-down menu.
    Right click on LowerFilters.bak (if it exists) in the Name column and select Delete from the pull-down menu.
    Right click on UpperFilters (if it exists) in the Name column and select Delete from the pull-down menu.
    Right click on UpperFilters.bak (if it exists) in the Name column and select Delete from the pull-down menu.

After that reboot

Mar 5, 2009, 10:00 PM

When I click on the 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 plus to drop down it doesn't have the folder lowerfilters it just says 0000, 0001, 0002, 0003, and the properties which when I clicked on it said properties can not be opened.

Mar 5, 2009, 10:03 PM
    When I went to device manager and clicked on cd dvd rom I clicked unistall and it seemed as if I deleted it complety from the computer but it wasn't working before I did that so I don't understand what the problem could be.

Mar 5, 2009, 10:05 PM
    Wait sorry it seems to be back. Disreguard that last message

Mar 6, 2009, 01:40 PM

Are you saying you now have a cd rom? Or is the code itself back. If its still just the code the last thing you can try is to uninstall ALL applications that use it(windows media player quick time things of that nature) uninstall the driver, reinstall it and see if it works. If not I would contact toshiba for a new driver or another "fix" program as they don't provide a driver online and the fix program didn't work.

Mar 8, 2009, 07:44 AM

Hey darkvision I fixed the problem I found the lower and upper filters and deleted them like you said. I just want to say thank you so much man. You're a life saver!! THanks so much

Mar 8, 2009, 09:14 AM

:) glad yah finally got it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Compaq laptop Hard Drive won't load windows xp [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a Compaq 3015us laptop that's acting up. Upon start up the compaq splash screen comes up as it should then then the computer runs bios and the next screen asks which boot device I would like to use, Hard Drive (C), CD Rom (D) or Floopy Drive (A), and its never done that before. The...

Drive won't read blank cd's [ 2 Answers ]

Hey there, is there anyone out there that can help me? All of a sudden my drive won't recognize blank cd's when inserted. I try to burn music cd's and put a blank disc in but it keeps saying "no disc inserted". I am running Windows XP, the computer is about a year and a half old. Don't know...

Xp won't load [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have xp windows pro sp2 and now it won't load windows just get to the part whereit says windows didn't start right and then reboots over and over and won't load up xp, hope you can direct me somewhere or somehow to get my puter going normal again ty for your help

HELP! Laptop will not load w/ME on startup [ 4 Answers ]

I have a ibm think pad 390x 2626 running windows ME millennium. I was online and used the laptop all day.Shut it down properly and when I turned it on the following morning it would only boot up to the ibm thinkpad page with the message that says f1 for bios install. It will sit on that page and it...

View more questions Search