Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Liscarney Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2006, 03:10 PM
    Fire Wall
    I have remodeled a portion of my garage into a closet and a shower as part an adjacent new bedroom. I have an attic space above the remodeled area. Is there a requirement to build a fire wall to separate the attic above the new closet and shower from the rest of the garage attic? Thanks for any help on this!
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Feb 17, 2006, 03:36 PM
    You need to separate the closet/bath attic space from the garage. You can frame a wall from the top of the closet/bath wall up to the garage ceiling and drywall it. If you want to use the top of the closet/bath areas for storage, after you build the wall, make a door out of 3/4 ply and install a piece of drywall on it, garage side.
    Or when you drywall the garage side framing of the closet/bath a make sure the open ends of the ceiling joists are covered over by drywall. Put a piece of 3/4 plywood on top of the closet /bath ceiling joists. Either way should pass code.
    Liscarney Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2006, 04:08 PM
    Thanks for the quick response!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fire Ants [ 5 Answers ]

I am from east Texas,and need some advice on killing these fire ants.just ran up on this site some how,and glad I did.sounds like fun and informative.just wanted to say hi to all.

Fire [ 3 Answers ]

I had a fire in my apartment on July 27. I didn't have renters insurance. When I applied for the Fire Marshall report it stated that it was inconclusive (they could not determine who's fault it was), now my question is can I sue the management company for compensation of lost items, i.e furniture

Fire Wall Disablement [ 2 Answers ]

Hello! Please tell me if I should disable my computer's fire wall because I'm having problem access through a website. I entered this site but can't proceed past a certain page. Instructions with this process said I might need to disable fire wall if had access problems. If that's something I...

View more questions Search