Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sdeaton Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2008, 02:15 PM
    Paintings by Albert W. Elsner and Rebecca Chase Milwaukee, WI
    I'm looking for info about these artists. All I can find out about Elsner is that he was German-American ,born 1888 in Milwaukee WI. I have a 26x33 oil painting on masonite with a label on the back that reads "The Big Tree", started June 1st completed June 24, 1936. There is also an capital A,R,X in collum form with an x marked next to the letter A. The word "allocated" also appears on the back along with a very large hand written capital A. The painting is of a farm house and a field and is signed in the lower right. Does anyone know who this artist is? The next artist Rebecca Chase was also from Milwaukee and was a friend of my great aunt who rented her a room to live in. I have about 25 pieces of her art work and would like to know more about her. All I know is she studied at the Art Institute of Chicago, and also taught art in the Milwaukee area as well. Any info would be great! Thanks
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2008, 12:20 AM
    Concerning the artist Albert W. Elsner, are you sure about the spelling of his last name.

Concerning the artist Rebecca Chase, I did find a couple more examples of her work (if it's the same artist) on the following link. http://www.askart.com/AskART/artists...rtist=10009576

I do know that she was also a teacher of art who lived from 1878 - 1965. Aside from that, it appears to be really hard to find information about her on the Internet. That doesn't mean that it's not out there somewhere, though...

Apr 17, 2008, 07:18 AM
    Thanks for the response. I checked out the link you provided about Rebecca Chase and it is the same artist. In addition to the several oils I have, I also have watercolors, sketches, what looks like wood block prints for christmas cards. Do you think I should take them in somewhere in Milwaukee to have them looked at and appraised? As far as for Albert (William or Wilhelm) Elsner, I believe the spelling is correct. I did some research on line and the only thing I came up with was from the Wisconsin Historical Museum collection. Apparently a oil on canvas was donated to the State Historical Society in 1993. Should I bring this in too? I'm just wondering if you think I should have these painting insured (my parents never did). One other piece I wanted to ask you about was a steel engraving titled The Village Blacksmith. It came out of my father's grandparents house which would make it at least 100 yrs old. On the bottom is the title, the name George Patterson, JF Herring Senior, Inked by?(I can't read that part) all done in some sort of type. On the back is handwritten in really large pencil 1013. Any thoughts on this engraving? I just came into possession of this artwork and really don't know what I should do next. Any advice or additional info on these pieces would be great! Thanks for your time!
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2008, 02:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sdeaton
    As far as for Albert (William or Wilhelm) Elsner, I believe the spelling is correct. I did some research on line and the only thing I came up with was from the Wisconsin Historical Museum collection. Apparently a oil on canvas was donated to the State Historical Society in 1993. Should I bring this in too? I'm just wondering if you think I should have these painting insured (my parents never did).

One other piece I wanted to ask you about was a steel engraving titled The Village Blacksmith. It came out of my father's grandparents house which would make it at least 100 yrs old. On the bottom is the title, the name George Patterson, JF Herring Senior, Inked by?(I can't read that part) all done in some sort of type. On the back is handwritten in really large pencil 1013. Any thoughts on this engraving? I just came into possession of this artwork and really don't know what I should do next. Any advice or additional info on these pieces would be great! Thanks for your time!
    ---------------------------------------
    http://www.wagglepop.com/bin/auction...stingID=440274
    The Village Blacksmith
    Beautiful black and white reproduction print of John Frederick Herring's famous work "The Village Blacksmith". This reprint is from the 1970s.
    The original was created in 1860.
    ABOUT THE ARTIST:
    Born in Blackfriars, Surrey, England, John Frederick Herring Sr. Was the son of Benjamin Herring (who was born in America under the British Flag but was Dutch by descent), and brother of the painter Benjamin Herring Jr. Walking past a coach depot one day, he looked in to see a coach painter having difficulty painting a horse on the crest on the side of the coach. Herring stopped, helped him and did the job so well he was asked to paint the crests on a new coach. He became a painter of farmyard scenes and narrative pictures. He died at Meopham on September 23rd 1865. Three of his sons became artists and two daughters married artists.
    -----------------------------------------------

http://www.artnet.com/artist/661079/...rring-jr-.html

I also found this
    ---------------------------
    http://www.intaglio-fine-art.com/pri...ive-rural.html
    An English Farmyard
    Engraved by G Paterson after a picture by John F Herring.
    ---------------------------
    You might want to get your artwork checked out by a professional.
    slomab Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2008, 03:53 PM
    Greetings. I am an active collector of artwork by early Wisconsin painters and had/have works by both Chase and Elsner. While I cannot offer much in the way of biographical information about them I am interested in learning more about the pieces you have and if you have any interest in selling any of them. I can be reached at [Personal email address removed for privacy.]

Thank you.

May 12, 2008, 06:09 PM
    Just wanted to thank firmbeliever for the information. I did a little more research and contacted the American Antiquarian Society who had this engraving posted on their web site. The assistant curator of graphic design e mailed me and gave me the following info-the print I have was published by the Cosmopolitan Art Association in 1858-1859, it was the 3rd print issued in it's seven year existence(1854-1861) before the start of the Civil War. She also gave me some websites to check from time to time that would have old engravings for sale that may sell mine at sometime. Also apparently eBay sometimes has prints from the art association up for sale(auction). Again thanks for the information -it set me on the right track. Oh, and I have decided to have all the art work looked at by a professional. I think it would be beneficial. Thanks again

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who was Albert Berry? [ 4 Answers ]

Name on reverse side of a wood block print from 1920's. To: Albert and Alfred Berry. Best wishes etc... your friend,, etc.

Working in Milwaukee, WI on L1-B Visa [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm working in Milwaukee, WI on L1-B Visa for 3 months. I started here on Oct 11th'06 and will be here till Jan7th-2006. My company is a indian subsidiary and I have transferred here on L1-B. My salary is 5224 USD per month. My salary is paid by the Indian company not the US company. Whether I...

Tracing Rebecca (Becky) [ 1 Answers ]

Hey friends, Those days when we didn't have the internet, me and Becky Queen (Rebecca) were pen friends. My last contact was 20 years ago. We exchanged a lots of opinions and got to know each other through mail... I am trying to locate Becky... and so please please help me to locate her... Becky's...

Albert pujols [ 1 Answers ]

How much is a albert pujols 2002 donruss studio masterstrokes card number ms-15

Milwaukee braves- 1958 [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know the uniform numbers of the following Milwaukee Braves from the 1958 team: Warren Spahn (21?) Lew Burdette Hank Aaron (44?) Eddie Matthews (41?) Del Crandall (1?) Red Schoendienst Joe Adcock

View more questions Search