Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eminemloverx3 Posts: 94, Reputation: 2

Jul 29, 2015, 12:53 PM
    Going vegan
    Hi, I'm 18 and I'm strongly considering going vegan. I'm sort of a big meat and fish eater but I was to change that. I can hugely about the welfare of animals. I was wondering if people have any tips that can help me and also what alcohols can you drink if you are vegan cause I've heard there are some you cannot have.. Also can I still eat white bread? That's all I eat half the time haha
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 29, 2015, 01:10 PM
    Just to let you know that your becoming vegan doesn't change in the slightest degree how farm animals are treated when alive and how they are slaughtered. A better idea would be to find farms (meat sources) that treat their animals well throughout their lifetime and make sure slaughtering is humane. The dailycoyote dot com site just completed their distribution and sale of humanely raised beef. Check there for their next sale time. Also, get involved with groups that work toward humane treatment and slaughter (see Temple Grandin's website) of animals we raise for food. Btw, many mice, chipmunks, farm cats, and other small animals are killed during grain harvesting.
    eminemloverx3 Posts: 94, Reputation: 2

Jul 29, 2015, 01:23 PM
    But the more people going vegan less animals will be killed cause there won't be a big need for them to be killed. I volunteer already on farms and animal sanctuarys. I would never be able to be around animals that are being slaughtered it would kill me to see something like that happening
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 29, 2015, 01:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by eminemloverx3 View Post
    But the more people going vegan less animals will be killed cause there won't be a big need for them to be killed. I volunteer already on farms and animal sanctuarys. I would never be able to be around animals that are being slaughtered it would kill me to see something like that happening
    But that's not going to happen, that people give up meat. They aren't going to become vegans. And it takes a lot of preplanning and thought to be vegan. It's much easier for people to buy the pound of ground beef or order chicken wings or grill a steak.

The dailycoyote beef is Star Brand Beef. The site owner (Shreve Stockton) talks about how she can love and respect animals and still eat chicken and beef. I'll find that post, if you're interested.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 29, 2015, 02:01 PM
    You clearly have no idea what being vegan actually means. It's not just eating any animal product, but clothes and toiletries as well.

This means ZERO dairy, no ice cream, cheese, cream, mayo, etc.
    Also ZERO leather shoes, jackets, or many forms of drink including beer and wine.
    Many cosmetics also use animal products such as pigs blood and egg whites.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 29, 2015, 02:10 PM
    Here's Shreve Stockton posts on eating meat vs. being vegetarian/vegan --

Why I'm Not Vegetarian (or Vegan) : HONEY ROCK DAWN

Star Brand Beef : HONEY ROCK DAWN (Part 2 of her vegan post)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 29, 2015, 02:13 PM
    Vegan is a lifestyle, not a dietary choice.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 29, 2015, 02:59 PM
    You are young. You live half the time on white bread. Are you really ready for a serious life change like this? You can be just as unhealthy trying to be vegan and doing it wrong as you can eating the way you do now.
    Start by cutting out the 'whites' - white sugar, white flour, white rice, white anything, because they are devoid of nutrients, clog you up, create inflammation in cells, and generally wipe out your heath.
    Eat meats sparingly for now, cutting out RED meat, and eating chicken and fish. For other protein, eggs and dairy, like yogurt.
    Lots of fresh veggies and fruits.
    Exhausted just thinking about all that? You should be. That's just the start.
    TRY THIS THEN: NO SUGAR! PRACTICALLY NO RED MEAT.
    How's that sound?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2015, 03:33 PM
    Measuring acceptable growing areas around the world, it is impossible to feed people on just a Vegan diet. While the percentage of US vegan has gone up, meat and meat by product is the primary, and in some cases, the only protein source in some countries.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 29, 2015, 05:06 PM
    No, you can't eat bread of any sort. Bread uses eggs and milk, vegans don't eat eggs or milk. Vegans don't eat anything that was made by, or produced by an animal.

So, no bread, no ice cream, no milk, no eggs, no cheese, no buns, no cake, no cookies, no chocolate... and the list goes on.

I think you'd be better suited to becoming vegetarian. Vegetarians don't eat meat, but will eat products made by animals, such as milk, and eggs, and everything that milk and eggs make. Just no meat. Vegan is a lifestyle change, a big one, not one that's easily made, unless you like tofu and lots of salad.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 30, 2015, 08:48 AM
    Before you jump into this find out everything you can to be sure it's the right fit for what you want.
    current pert

Jul 30, 2015, 09:29 AM
    I make my own bread. I don't use eggs or milk.
    Flours, OJ (instead of sugar for the yeast), a bit of oil, a bit of salt, and yeast. Very yummy
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 30, 2015, 12:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    I make my own bread. I don't use eggs or milk.
    Flours, OJ (instead of sugar for the yeast), a bit of oil, a bit of salt, and yeast. Very yummy
    Why don't you use sugar ? It doesn't take much. Only enough to proof the yeast.
    current pert

Jul 30, 2015, 03:20 PM
    Because OJ makes a really tasty bread that stays tender longer. The fact that there is plenty of sugar in OJ is not the main reason I use it. Around Thanksgiving I add cornmeal and a bit of cooked sweet potato, for 3 yellow-orange colors.

I use a bread machine, so the yeast goes in at the same time as all the other ingredients. I heat the OJ and skip the preheat button on the machine.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2015, 06:08 PM
    I'm a member of PETA. People Eating Tasty Animals. :-)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to become a vegan [ 2 Answers ]

I have been a vegetarian for almost four years now, but have been wanting to become a vegan for the past year or so. I just couldn't bring myself to do it because it sounded so expensive and time-consuming, but a couple days ago I went to a doctor and got some tests done and found out I am gluten...

How do I become a Vegan? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm 13 years old and I want to start eating healthy. Actually I've been thinking about becoming and vegan for awhile now but my friends always make fun of the idea. They laugh and always say its stupid and you can't stay away from meet and that I never keep my commitments. I want a healthy body and...

Vegan Diets? [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to learn more about a vegan diet. Is there a really good website that you know of? I have many questions! Is is safe? What studies show that it is, or is not? What vitamins do you take on a vegan diet? And what do you do if you are going to eat at a restaurant! (red lobster!) Do...

View more questions Search