Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2006, 09:12 AM
    What's Wrong with AskMeHelpDesk?
    Many people don't find this site too useful for a reason. People want their most difficult automotive problems solved for free, but most don't give any feedback whatsoever to the problem solver. It's difficult to solve complex problems for someone else without their interaction. It's a two-way street and most people only want to take. If people with problems would become more actively involved in the process and establish somewhat of a rapport with the problem solver, then more knowledgeable help would be forthcoming. Who wants to help selfish, lazy people?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2006, 09:18 AM
    There are a whole bunch of us that have great feedback from this site. https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/member...putation&pp=50

Maybe the automotive subject is an anomaly. Anyhow I'm just doing it because I like to help people - they could turn off the whole reputation thing and it wouldn't affect me posting here at all.
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2006, 09:21 AM
    The reputation rating is worthless, in my opinion.
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2006, 09:23 AM
    Quite a few people agree with you.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2006, 09:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by txgreasemonkey
    Many people don't find this site too useful for a reason. People want their most difficult automotive problems solved for free, but most don't give any feedback whatsoever to the problem solver. It's difficult to solve complex problems for someone else without their interaction. It's a two-way street and most people only want to take. If people with problems would become more actively involved in the process and establish somewhat of a rapport with the problem solver, then more knowledgeable help would be forthcoming. Who wants to help selfish, lazy people?
    Very profound... not.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2006, 09:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by grease monkey
    The reputation rating is worthless, in my opinion.
    Granted, "points" don't say anything. If you want to get a real idea on how helpful people have been in the past, click on their username and look at the comments.
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2006, 10:01 AM
    Comment on RickJ's post
    Every once in a while you drop a little nugget like this that makes me laugh. Thanks for that. :)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 31, 2006, 10:02 AM
    Sounds like you are fairly new to the world of online help sites. I've been doing this (helping out at Q&A sites) for over 20 years. The problems you cite have not changed in those 20 years.

Its true that most questions do not get feedback. Its even true that many people, when asked follow-up questions don't provide answers. Many times, trying to get the info needed to help is like pulling teeth. There are several reasons for this: embarrassment at not being able to explain themselves properly, not being able to find the question (or site) again, rudeness, feeling that the help is what the cite offers and not understanding the volunteer aspect of it. Just to name the primary reasons.

But there are many people who do offer thanks yous. Who do work with you to solve their problem. Its those times that we help for. I've often encountered people who I stop helping because of their attitude and people I go the extra mile for because I know they appreciate the effort.

The problem is not AMHD, but the genre itself. Frankly, though I have to wonder about your temperament being suitable for a site like this.

As for the reputation ratings, I've already said much on that subject.
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2006, 10:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    I've been doing this (helping out at Q&A sites) for over 20 years. The problems you cite have not changed in those 20 years.
    To be fair there were not a lot of people on the web in 1986 so that would explain the lack of feedback. :D

Jul 31, 2006, 10:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    To be fair there were not a lot of people on the web in 1986 so that would explain the lack of feedback. :D
    Probably only one at that point, Tim Berners-Lee ;)

But before the WEB there were online services like Compuserve, Genie, Prodigy and AOL that had Q&A boards. There were also special interest groups (SIGs) where people could get help. I first joined Compuserve in 1984.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jul 31, 2006, 10:23 AM
    I think there is actually a pretty wide range of experience here as to whether we get cooperated with or even complimented or thanked. I believe its more the case of what specific personalities attract... or not? I believe that cyber world is often an extension of face-to-face world and that you get what you get by doing what you do, even though the personalities may be more muted here. Its really that simple. I always took it that if I don't like what I get, maybe its time to compare what I do with what others do, especially the ones who are getting what I want? I have learned that they don't make those teeshirts that says "Plays Well With Others" or "Runs With Scissors" just to hang on the wall.

What I especially like about this site is the low bickering environment that goes for everyone. So in that regard, I think it only stands to reason that there is probably even more chance to have the warm fuzzies occurring here than, say, at site where its more like the Jerry Springer format. I am very glad for that too! Thank you.
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2006, 11:31 AM
    Rather than asking what's wrong with Ask Me Help Desk, I would ask, what's wrong with some people ? There are always going to be inconsiderate people in the world, on and off the internet. When I used to work retail, I was constantly dealing with rude customers who wanted special treatment, free things, etc, which they did not deserve and/or was not part of store policy. I just learned to smile and say "have a nice day" to them, and laugh about it with my co-workers if the customers were particularly outrageous or inconsiderate.

On the internet it's easier for people to be rude or selfish because no one really knows who they are, so there's less accountability. And many people are not up on netiquette, either. Lots of times people simply don't realize that they are being discourteous.

I think the Ask Me Help Desk is awesome, and most of our feedback is positive. I'm not on as much this summer because I have a house full of kids to attend to, but I still love the site, and as NeedKarma says, the reputation system is not what keeps me posting here. But it is a useful tool for askers, especially now that you can see everyone's comments in their profile.
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2006, 11:46 AM
    Yes, Orange, AskMeHelpDesk is awesome. The problem is with the people who take advantage of its format.
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2006, 11:50 AM
    Yes, Orange, AskMeHelpDesk is awesome. The problem is with the people who take advantage of its format.
    Can you show an example of this?
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2006, 11:56 AM
    Yeah I'd like to see an example of this, too... I'm not sure what you mean by take advantage?

Jul 31, 2006, 12:03 PM
    Comment on orange's post
    Your comments about the anonymity of the Net making it easier for people to be rude or selfish hit the nail on the head!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

AskMeHelpDesk Clocks are slow [ 6 Answers ]

According to Greenwhich, http://wwp.greenwich2000.com/ , the official time is listed there, updated every second. However, when compared to the clocks at AskMeHelpDesk, I notice that AskMeHelpDesk's clocks are 6 minutes slow.

View more questions Search