Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hola32 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2007, 12:51 PM
    Widow pension in US
    Hi!

I'm Spanish and I'm married to an American citizen. We are living in Colorado and I have a US resident card and a social security number. As he has been working for the government, if he dies before me as I am his wife I will receive a widow pension from the government. The thing is that we are thinking about moving back to Spain next fall to live there permanently and I guess I will then lost my resident card and I guess my US social security number too?. then, how I would be able in the future to collect the widow pension without a social security number?. do you need it to collect it?. I hope it never happens, but just wondering if in the future I find myself in that situation how it works here in the US... do you need to be a US resident and have a social security number to collect a widow pension?

Thanks,
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2007, 04:06 PM
    Hola hola32!

You pose an interesting problem. I do know that once you have a social security number, it is yours for life. Moving to another country doesn't mean you lose it. But, I don't know if you are not an American Citizen and you are living in another country, whether you will still be able to collect on your husband's social security. If he has a pension plan from his job, if you are named the beneficiary, you will receive that. It doesn't matter where you live.

I think the best thing that you can do is to call the Social Security Administration and find out what your options are. All it might take is for you to follow through and get your U.S. Citizenship. If your husband works for the government, you probably should talk to him about your concerns. He could ask someone in his Human Resources Department what you both can do to ensure that you will receive his social security if something should happen to him. In any event, here is the link to the Social Security Administration. At the top of the web page, there is a link to contact them.

Social Security Online
    hola32 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2007, 07:17 AM
    Hola RubyPitbull!

Thank you very much for your clear and helpful answer! very nice of you!:-)

We thought about the citizenship option but the problem is that me being Spanish can't have a dual citizenship cause in Spain they don't recognize the dual citizenship with US and once you take it you lose the Spanish one (stupid but true) and I can't do that as we want to move to Spain and I have family there etc... The other problem is that if we move to Spain for good I know I will lose my permanent resident card as they don't let you live outside of the US for more than one year (I think that to keep it you have to be living here at least six months a year) and as I don't know how laws work here I was wondering if not having a resident card anymore they would let me keep my social security number (I have the feeling the answer is no)... I love this country (plus is the country of my husband and all his family lives here) and I wish I could find any solution but Spanish laws are very strict about dual citizenship but I kind of gave up the idea of a solution about that... so that's why I was wondering about the widow pension as here in the States they do everything through your social security number...

Anyway, as you said the best idea is probably to contact the Social Security and ask them about all my concerns...

Thank you very much!!
    cosyrosie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2009, 01:22 AM
    Rubi, I am British. Was married to a US citizen for 20 years.I do not have US citizenship but I do have Social Securitycard. My husband died 10 years ago and I have been receiving widowed mothers benefits ever since. I live in Spain.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 11, 2009, 01:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hola32 View Post
    Hi!

I'm Spanish and I'm married to an American citizen. We are living in Colorado and I have a US resident card and a social security number. As he has been working for the government, if he dies before me as I am his wife I will receive a widow pension from the government. The thing is that we are thinking about moving back to Spain next fall to live there permanently and I guess I will then lost my resident card and I guess my US social security number too??... then, how I would be able in the future to collect the widow pension without a social security number??... do you need it to collect it??...I hope it never happens, but just wondering if in the future I find myself in that situation how it works here in the US... do you need to be a US resident and have a social security number to collect a widow pension?

thanks,
    I don't think you fully understand what your asking. Receiving SSI ( Social Security Income ) isn't a pension. It's a benefit. They are 2 separate things. Now he may be contributing to a pension and depending on which part of government he works for he may or may not be contributing to Social Security. You need to sort that out first. SSI can provide surviivor benefits but again it is separate from a pension bebefit. You need to define what your really after.
    emrof Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2010, 10:27 AM

I currently receive a pension related to my late husband's death. If I remarry will I still get this pension?

Also, if I remarry and my husband dies am I entitled to both pensions?
    Caswest Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2013, 04:23 AM
    Hello
    I am British and Moved to California and was in the Process of doing my Visa and paperwork to become a Permanent Resident until my Husband Passed Away we was married in California and people have been telling me I should Claim Widows Pension can I do this or where can I find out more information has people are getting on my nerves and want to show them I have looked into this

Thank You in Advance for the Help

Cas

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dating a Widow w/ Children [ 8 Answers ]

I need help! I met a man about 8 months ago. He lost his wife a little over a year ago. When we met, we immediately because good friends a help to each other because I met him on the week my husband left me. We both have small children, who are the same age. As time goes on, we have been getting...

Why is my husband so interested in an older widow in our neighborhood? [ 7 Answers ]

My husband is very interested in the widowed neighbor.He always jumps when she calls,and she does often.The neighbor always has a question or something for him to do.My husband is 73 and she is 80,should I worry?I don't know what hold she has over him.I am never included and don't like her,but he...

Pension expense [ 1 Answers ]

Is this the correct way to determine pension expense? Service cost + interest cost - actual return on plan assets

Widow of an American citizen [ 2 Answers ]

How long should wait the widow of an American citizen for applying for citizenship - 3 or 5 years?

Swindled widow [ 1 Answers ]

I invested in a so called company starting up and selling healthcare benefits. I knew the parties and thought everything was fine. I was given stock certificates in the company and have a written agreement as to the repayment plan they would pay me back my investment. I also have a lien against...

View more questions Search