Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jayRoss Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2007, 02:01 PM
    Vanity Sink trap
    I'm installing a bathroom sink with very little clearance to place the trap below the waste pipe. Will this present a problem draining water or causing gas fumes? There will also be extra bends involved. Please refer to my sketch. Thanks.

Jay
    Attached Images

ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 4, 2007, 03:31 PM
    You need to drop lower before adding the trap. Get below the waste then do a trap. You have drawn an S trap that's not allowed in most places.
    jayRoss Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2007, 05:06 AM
    So, what you are saying is that it would not work to have a trap above the waste? That being the case, in my situation, my only recourse would be to raise the waste pipe inside the wall? Thanks.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 10, 2007, 07:58 AM
    Not at all, I am just saying that the P trap should terminate with ahorizontal at the same level as the pipe in the wall. Extend the vertical pipe from the sink and add your trap about 4" lower than in your drawing. You can try a S trap but they are no longer allowed in most plumbing codes fro a reason.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2007, 09:45 AM
    As I understand your question, you don't have enough room below where the waste pipe goes into the wall for a trap. Putting the trap higher and elbowing down between it and the vent in the wall, will create a long banned ''S'' trap. I see 3 solutions.

1 Chop open the wall and raise the tee for the waste line and vet.

2 Chop a hole in the bottom of the vanity to make room for the trap.

3 Install a Studor or other brand of air admittance valve.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New vanity: trap won't reach wall drain stub [ 3 Answers ]

We replaced a vanity top and sink with a new vanity top having an integrated sink. The new sink is offset horizontally about 1 inch from the old one. Turns out the old sink was at the limit for trap reach; the new one is over further still, so it seems impossible to line up the j-bend portion...

Vanity drain offset from pipes under sink [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed a space-saver vanity where our old, larger vanity used to be. I failed to notice that the existing pipe is now not lined up with the new vanity drain. It's about 4"-6" from the top of the existing trap to the bottom of the new vanity and 4" off-center. Is there such a thing as a...

P-trap GAP - p-trap too low to meet sink drain extension [ 13 Answers ]

I just took an old crane drexel sink off the wall and replaced it for the time being ( I want to fix the older sink) with a cheap vanity/sink set. All that was easy enough, but now to my chagrin I can't finish the job. The p trap is too low, the extension pipe from the sink doesn't go all...

Replacing single sink vanity [ 3 Answers ]

I'm replacing my single sink vanity with a double sink vanity. Can I use the water supply lines that were for the single sink for the 2 new sinks. What do I use to supply both sinks?

No running water in one sink of double vanity [ 8 Answers ]

Hello all. I have an original (1990) builder-grade double vanity in my master bath. One sink works perfectly, the other sink will not run water. I checked the shut-off valves under the sink, they seem fine. There was no reason for them to have been turned off anyway, I was just making sure. ...

View more questions Search