Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Senior John Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2015, 09:09 AM
    As an 85 year old I made some poor decisions that cost me dearly. Is there any remedy
    I'm 85 and "agility challenged". I am the primary caregiver for my wife who is wheelchair bound with Alzheimer's disease. We have cruised before, and would dearly like to do it again, but are afraid we would not be able to physically handle getting to the ship.
    A salesman for Norwegian Cruise Line called me and convinced me on the phone that he could guarantee my wife and I could go on a cruise. He said I could cancel by calling him on Monday. He didn't answer his phone on Monday, but a message said he would call right back. He didn't.
    By Tuesday, it was "too late" to cancel and he fast talked me into agreeing to something that my wife and I couldn't handle. After several days of talking with th agent trying to make things right, I finally called "guest relations" at NCL to cancel, they did so with a huge cancellation penalty. They said to apply for relief through their trip insurance policy. This would still leave us with a big shortfall in expense.
    Do I have any options?
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Dec 22, 2015, 10:10 AM
    I don't have anything to tell you but I wish you and your wife a Very Merry Christmas and I hope you get your money back. There are slimes in the business of giving people the run around.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2015, 10:40 AM
    Did you pay by credit card? If so you might have other options open to you. Particularly since they conveniently weren't there to answer the phone during the cancellation period. Which I think was by their choice. Saw your name come up on caller ID and chose not to answer at the time. I would call my credit card company and be very specific about trying to call to cancel and them not answering the phone due to no fault of your own.

In some cases the cancellation period is Business days... not calendar days as not all businesses are open 7 days a week.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 22, 2015, 11:03 AM
    Smoothy makes a great point as your credit card or bank probably has a dispute resolution process you can avail yourself of. Shame on them for preying on the elderly.
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Dec 22, 2015, 11:40 AM
    Be sure to let us know how it plays out. I bet if you called them on a Tuesday, after their cancellation period they would be sure to pick up the phone.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 22, 2015, 02:57 PM
    I have done 2 or 3 credit card chargebacks. Generally the way it works is the amount is put on hold and you don't have to pay it, while the company is allowed to dispute your claim to your card.
    Sometimes the companies just let it go and you win by default and the credit shows on your statement.
    Call right away.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How are the decisions made in India? [ 1 Answers ]

I need some help for my project in social studies. I really need this answer as soon as possible. Please help me.

How furniture carpentry made capital budgeting decisions [ 1 Answers ]

How Furniture Carpentry made capital budgeting decisions in there company?

View more questions Search