Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    essie Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2006, 03:52 AM
    Please help to translate into Russian or explain the meaning
    I've come across the word combination, which I need to translate into Russian, ASAP;
    "medical coupons"
    Please help!:)
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2006, 04:36 AM
    FYI, there are 2 "engines" that drive most software translation apps.

A basic version of each of them is represented at Systransoft.com and FreeTranslation.com.

Neither is perfect, but they'll do in a pinch when you can't find someone who can speak the language. Usually they come out a bit different - depending on how much colloquialism or terminology is used.

Systransoft translates it as медицинские талоны
    And
    FreeTranslation translates it as медицинские купоны

Jan 10, 2006, 04:42 AM
    Thank you for answering and translating the word combination.
    However, here is the sentence itself:
    "When applying, clients should bring verification of all individuals in the residence (drivers license, social security cards, birth certificates, medical coupons, etc) and current bill which verifies their address.."

As you can see, neither variant is applicable here, alas.
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2006, 05:40 AM
    Oh. I did not know you were using it as a form of identification.

I see that your readers must be in the US. I don't see how you are trying to use "medical coupon" as a type of identification. I've never heard of it.

Is it something that your russian speaking readers will know what it is?

Jan 10, 2006, 07:09 AM
    In any case - thank you, again.
    Do you know Russian?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 10, 2006, 07:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by essie
    Please help!:)
    I am curious. Did you read the announcement at the top of this subform that said... "Please read this first... "? Did you wonder what Forum Community and Introductions meant as the headind for these forums? Did you wonder why they were dozens of different forums on the opening page?

The reason for that is so that questions can be organized according to what they are about. This just makes sense as it allows people to find questions of interest and volunteers to find questions they may be able to help with. That's why this forum is for people to introduce themselves, hence the title Introductions. There is a Language Subform in the Society & Culture forum where your question would be more appopriate.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=189
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2006, 07:13 AM
    In any case - thank you, again.
    Do you know Russian?
    No, sorry. I just use those tools fairly frequently in my research.

Jan 10, 2006, 10:48 PM
    These are just TOOLS. Being a professional interpreter (English-Russian), I tried one of them - total gibberish. You may use these engines just to get an appropriate meaning of the message – it will do.
    I would recommend you a high professional on-line dictionary and forum of interpreters –
    www.multitran.ru
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2006, 10:58 PM
    I use http://dictionary.reference.com/translate/text.html to translate stuff for me.

Jan 10, 2006, 11:05 PM
    CAptain, I have just tried it. I used the SAME sentence, which I stumbled upon yesterday (about "medical coupons'). The Russian translation made me CRY with delight! I haven't seen such jibberish for such a long time!!
    Please, promise that you will never use it again,;) I pray you!
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2006, 11:32 PM
    It was that bad eh?

I use it to assist me with English-French translations, and I have found it pretty reliable. But I have never used it for Russian before.

Jan 11, 2006, 12:17 AM
    Again, if you need simply to distinguish between a soup recipe and a love letter, maybe it could serve this purpose, but if you need to translate a technical text or a business letter with the proper use of all the terms – it is just a set of irrelevant words.

Jan 11, 2006, 04:39 PM
    Essie,

I'm sorry you took my suggestions the way you did. If you are unfamiliar with the language you certainly jumped to conclusions. My note was meant to help you learn how to use this site most efficiently.

If you notice, one of the mods moved this thread to where I suggested because that IS the best place for it.

Jan 11, 2006, 11:56 PM
    If you are unfamiliar with the language??
    Scott,

I'm sorry but I cannot grasp the real meaning of your expression…

Jan 12, 2006, 07:07 AM
    Scott,

I'm sorry but I cannot grasp the real meaning of your expression…
    In your e-mail you referred coming from a different country. I took that to mean that english was not your native language. If I misunderstood that I apologize.

Scott<>

Jan 13, 2006, 12:17 AM
    Scott, I DO come from a different country, as I write to you from Moscow, Russia. What I needed earlier was somebody's competent advice as to how better figure out the real meaning of the term "medical coupons".
    What I FINALLY found out is that "If a person has medical covered by a state agency they are given coupons to cover their medical expenses which are then covered by the state".

Jan 13, 2006, 05:15 AM
    Scott, I DO come from a different country, as I write to you from Moscow, Russia. What I needed earlier was somebody's competent advice as to how better figure out the real meaning of the term "medical coupons".
    What I FINALLY found out is that "If a person has medical covered by a state agency they are given coupons to cover their medical expenses which are then covered by the state".
    I'm glad you got your answer. I'll point out that you might have gotten the answer faster if you had posted in a more appropriate forum.

Jan 13, 2006, 05:22 AM
    No, it was from a Seattle friend.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Translate [ 6 Answers ]

يوسف عرف Anybody able to translate, I'm just curious Thanks M

I need to translate these sentences into French, help! [ 8 Answers ]

I need to have these sentences translated: -Natalie was born in Paris. -We see something. -Julie isn't meeting anyone. -Someone is right. -We want some ice cream. -I can drink some soda. -We're taking a pound of strawberries. -They have to learn French.

Looking for Russian comunities abroad [ 2 Answers ]

Please, help me to find the internet resources or contacts of russian comunities all over the world.

Need Help With Russian Girl [ 1 Answers ]

I live in U.S. I have started process for U.S. K-1 Fiancée visa. Also will have to file hardship petition because I can not afford to travel abroad. Please anyone with any info regarding this subject please help!!

Can Someone Explain The Actual Meaning Of This Email ? [ 15 Answers ]

Hi. I got this email from my girlfriend. We hv been into an online relationship from past 1yr 9 months ! We hv never met each other. Things were going fine until, last week she went to this trip with her family and when she came back, she was acting as if I meant nothing to her :( . 2 days later I...

View more questions Search